pre amp hook up!

leinad_kpg

hi there! i would like to make it short... i have a delta 1010LT hooked unto mackie CFX 12 line mixer.....so since delta 1010lt's pre's are not upto the mark i was wondering what pre amp would be the best buy for my home studio rig...... i've asked my friend for his pre's(he owns ART TPS II) to find out how much of a difference it would make if i add a pre amp to the delta.....so i would like to know how will i hook up the pre's since it's not mine.. and i dont want to fry up anything....plez help thankyou

Funny, how simple things are. :)

I will suggest not asking the TPSII to do anything remarkable. I have one, and use it for scratch tracks. IMO, it is best used without any of the supposed preset settings (starved tube crap). Set it to 'Neutral' and forget about the processing to DAW. Or, use a direct box and record a direct track as well. I have not yet found a need for the TPS to create good tone yet, though, nice tube amps and better preamps have made me forget about that unit for 'coloring' of input tone. There may be use for the circuitry within it, but I definitely would not call it 'tone fix', nor would I consider it a great preamp. Maybe some of the settings could be beneficial to the input signal, but that is just relating to the input source sound you are starting with. It will not 'fix' the input source, but it could possibly alter it in a good way. I doubt it, as I have not found this myself. Units such as these, only add distortion, that they call warmth. It is not a great way to start as an input device IMO.

I would not say that they will make for a good representation of good tone by using it. I would consider it an effects pedal more than a preamp to be honest.

Then again, I suck, so take this with a grain of salt. Or pepper if you prefer.

Back