portable vst and the one with an installer?

I have no idea, just wanted to jump in so you wouldn't feel ignored. I think portable would probably be something like a stand-alone version that doesn't need to be in a host/DAW to run. Like a separate app that can be carried around on a stick or external drive, or on whatever laptop/pad you might be using. Not sure what "with an installer" version might be, unless maybe it's the one that does need to be inside a host/DAW to run - where it gets installed in the various VST music folders the DAW points to. All guessing here, googling for info wasn't much help.

I don't know what a postrable vst is. However I know that some vsts can be installed simply by copying a DLL file into a plugins folder, whereas other may have samples or other data that needs to accompany the DLL,and these require an installer to make sure everything goes into the right places.

Portable just means it's a .DLL or .VST3 file that you'd need to copy/move into your DAW's Plugin Folder. One with an Installer, runs a Program which will Install said .DLL or .VST3 into the Folder for you, and probably leaves behind some Install/Uninstall files in it's wake.

Portable just means it's a .DLL or .VST3 file that you'd need to copy/move into your DAW's Plugin Folder. One with an Installer, runs a Program which will Install said .DLL or .VST3 into the Folder for you, and probably leaves behind some Install/Uninstall files in it's wake.
Thanks for making that clear ;)

Back