PMC DB1I with ART SLA-2 or Samson Servo 600

kimidge

Hey all,

I have recently purchased a pair of PMC DB1I monitors and because my mum got them for me, she thought she was getting active monitors. When they arrived (from the other side of australia) i realised they were passive.

My question is would the Art SLA-2 or Samson Servo 600 power amplifier be over kill for these monitors.

PMC DB1I monitors

Crossover Frequency: 2kHz
Dimensions: H 290mm 11.4" W 155mm 6.1" D 234mm 9.2" + Grille
Drive Units: LF PMC Doped 140mm cast Alloy Chassis, HF 27mm SONOLEX Soft dome Ferro-fluid cooled Effective ATL™ Length: 1.5m 5ft
Frequency Response: 50Hz-25kHk
Impedance: 8 Ohms
Input Connectors: 2 pairs 4mm sockets (Bi-Wire or Bi-Amp)
Recommended Amp Power: 40-200W
Sensitivity: 87dB 1w 1m

Art SLA-2 power amplifier

Toroidal transformer
200W per channel @ 8 ohms
560W bridged mono @ 8 ohms
Response: 10Hz-40kHz within +/-.5 dB
XLR, Euroblock, 1/4" inputs
XLR and 1/4" outputs
Includes tamper-proof faceplate
SmartFan silent cooling system
1U rackmount chassis
Discrete linear design
All steel enclosure

The other amp i was looking at was the:

Samsom Servo 600

Output Power:
  • 8 Ohm Stereo: 225W (Per Channel)
  • 4 Ohm Stereo: 300W (Per Channel)
  • 8 Ohm Bridged: 600W
Damping Factor: 350
Input Sensitivity: 1.24V (4 dBu) @ 8 Ohms
Input Impedance:
  • 15 kOhm, Unbalanced
  • 30 kOhm, Balanced
Gain: 34dB
Frequency Response:
  • 20Hz - 20kHz (0/-0.5dB, 8 Ohms, 1W)
  • 5Hz - 60kHz (0/-3dB, 8 Ohms, 1W)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 104dB (20Hz - 20kHz)
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): 0.04%

Or can anyone recommend an amp that would be better suited to these monitors.

Any help would be much appreciated

My question is would the Art SLA-2 or Samson Servo 600 power amplifier be over kill for these monitors. Answer, No.

The PMC's are 8 ohms so the rated amp power is what it says for 8 ohms. SLA is 200 watts ch at 8 ohms and the samson is, 225 watts ch at 8 ohms (slightly high but will be OK). It's not unusual to run larger amps than the recommended speaker rating due to the extra head room giving a clean signal and not square waving, which is what happens when amps distort, as square wave kill speakers quicker than too much power.

To be honest with these monitors you will never get to full power as the volume in a typical control room would be way loud.

Having said all of that I am wondering if you should not look at a better quality amp than what you are looking at here? The PMC's are a very good monitor. Out of the 2 you have suggested I would probably go with the ART.

Where are you in Oz?

Alan.

thanks for your reply

I'm from Melbourne but live in Perth.

I need something to get me going and money is a factor as well so i have decided on the ART.

I've posted on a couple of other forums and the general consensus is ART over Samson. The other main reply was get a better quality amp. lol
Ive ordered the ART and starting to save my pennies for a Bryston amp. A lot of people who use or have used PMC's recommend bryston (i think PMC even recommend it)

Cheers again

Back