plugins vs. hardware compressors

aaronmcoleman

The truth is out there!
Ok, this isn't really a question more of a comment, so put away the flame throwers and the copied and pasted "use the search function"...

I have been using a Hairball DIY 1176 for a little while now, and just wanted to make ac comment about the difference between plugins and hardware. The major difference I see is that the hardware can get pushed a lot harder. The plugins (UAD 1176, rocket, all of the fast ones emulating an 1176) start to get really, well, over compressed sounding when they are pushed.

The real thing can knock off 10-15 db and still sound really clear. In fact, I've been using it at super fast attack and release to level out an acoustic guitar without killing the dynamics. The hardware sounds great and can push the peaks down 7 db at 8:1 ratio with no problems, it can even push them down double that and not sound too squished. The plugins I've used are not quite as good at the more compressed settings.

Same holds true with my RNC. I can push it a bit further than ReaComp. I still really like the plugs I use, for their convenience, and they sound great. But the hardware is just better, in my opinion.

I'd be curious to see what others have to say on this topic.

I prefer hardware most of the time. That said, on the occasion that I'm mixing, I tend to stick with software unless I'm after a specific flavor (although I'll almost undoubtedly drag a few tracks through the garden at some point in the process).

THAT said, I'm rarely pushing more than a few dB anyway... I'll spend hours automating levels before I ever reach for a compressor.

But, frankly, most hardware compressors are digital anyway...just making them a software compressor in its own box.

Yes, there can be better or worse algorithms used in that software--but I'd guess that most of the differences you're hearing are down to the difference between the dBFS and dBu scales--with many people pushing things too hard "in the box".

If you can find the same compressor offered as a plug in or as stand alone hardware, there should be no difference.

Bob

But, frankly, most hardware compressors are digital anyway...just making them a software compressor in its own box.
I don't want to flat out disagree with that, but none of mine are (digital compressor in a box) and I don't actually know of any others (sure, some digital effects units here and there, but otherwise...).

Yes, there can be better or worse algorithms used in that software--but I'd guess that most of the differences you're hearing are down to the difference between the dBFS and dBu scales--with many people pushing things too hard "in the box".
That's for sure...

If you can find the same compressor offered as a plug in or as stand alone hardware, there should be no difference.
Still going to disagree there. Not that I haven't heard some pretty impressive compressor emulations -- UAD's Neve/Urei/Teletronix/SSL stuff are probably near the top of the list -- And others that aren't emulations of anything - Samplitude's AM-Munition is just freaky (in a good way). But I'm not even close to selling off the hardware... And believe me - if I could get the same mileage I'd do it in a heartbeat, take the money, buy another Harley ---- I mean, I'd get something really nice for my wife (phew...) and take a month off.

I don't have a lot of hardware, and I've only used a bit in other's studios. But I find it's a lot easier for me to find the sound I'm looking for with the hardware. Even something as simple as a basic RNC versus ReaComp (reaper's compressor), I find the RNC easier to dial in and sounds better in the end. Using the 1176 is an even more drastic difference.

In my experience plugins sound good, but the hardware sounds better...to me...and this may be bias since I know which is which...maybe a blind test would get different results.

Bob

Really???????
So where does the software go in an 1176 especially a DIY one (did it just sneak in there without me seeing while I was on a tea break from all that soldering :eek: ) and how do I do a firmware upgrade :D

Sorry, I Know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, sometimes just can't help my self and I have limited wits to begin with

While I would agree that there are *SOME* standalone digital effects out there, especially in the muti function all in one units, made mostly for live use area, most of the hardware units I see mentioned around here for use in the home studio (RNC, ART Pro, DBX, GAP, Joe Meek, 1176/LA2A knockoffs and so on) are pure analog, no DSP chips to be found. And most of the popular software plugin emulations are of modeled vintage, pure analog hardware units that don't have any software in their design

Last edited:
But the most often over looked fact is ....... you'll spend more time with computer maintenance than repairing hardware gear!!!! ;) :p ;)

I use software and hardware. Software is easier to use because if you don't know what you are doing with hardware, you can lose all that quality that should be running through your $1.00 cables :-)
I also do a lot of concerts so that's whats nice about having good hardware, I take it with me. I tried bolting my waves api 2500 compressor in my rack case but it didn't fit, probably a different thread size.

I personally love the cl1 compressor from waves when it comes to software. Its my go to compressor. I've had good results with other software as well is also hate having tons of gear.

Back