Please take a listen to my mix of "Burning Bridges" by "Dark Ride" [metal]

dddavidp

Please take a listen to my mix of "Burning Bridges" by "Dark Ride" [metal]

See attached file. Any feedback is welcome.

Do you guys think adding a copy of the guitars and pitching it down an octave would sound good? I did this on another track, and if turned down a LOT (or mixed together with the original via Pitch II in Pro Tools) creates an interesting sound.

Edit 1: So pitching them up didn't sound good because distortion apparently sounds like crap when shifted up an octave. As for down, that sounded decent, but only if used to color the guitars. In no way could these be used as a main tone.

I also posted a new version of the mix after re-doing the effects chain on the Master like 5 times.

Edit 2: I had an idea on how to get a fuller sound. By moving the crossover point on my multiband (Vitamin by Waves) down to like 350 instead of the default 700, I could the boost it up without increasing the volume of the vocals or drums (aside from the kick). This gave it (I hope) a fuller, more balanced sound. What do you guys think?

And thanks for the feedback, it's amazing what kind of errors pass you by when working on something for a long time.

Attachments

• Dark Ride - Burning Bridges.mp3
    8.7 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The answer to "do you think X would sound good" is almost always "try it and see".

As to the mix as it is, the left rhythm guitar sounds a lot brighter than the right one. What's the difference between those two instruments?

The guitars overall could probably come up and the vocals down a little. There's not a lot of power to the mix, and the vox sound good but take up too much space.

Ok, thanks!

I'll get to experimenting with the pitch shift, looking at the high-end of the guitars, and changing the levels a bit.

Any ideas for increasing the power of the mix? I am compressing the Master a little, and am using a ultra-maximizer on it. This makes it sound really loud and aggressive on my system, but I guess that's not true for everybody elses.

Kick is much too high. It's pounding my headphones, and not in a good way. The guitars are kind of unintelligible; I can't hear any detail in the picking. So, the kick level and the guitar tone is what I'd work on improving.

Kick is much too high. It's pounding my headphones, and not in a good way. The guitars are kind of unintelligible; I can't hear any detail in the picking. So, the kick level and the guitar tone is what I'd work on improving.

Yeah, I only have the wet guitar tracks, and I don't think I have any plugins that could make their "picking" stand out. I kinda wish they gave me dry version of all the guitars as well as the bass.

I think what happened is I kept on turning things down and then compressing the result to try and make everything louder. This + wear on my ear = one low-end heavy mix.

I agree with andrushkiwt's. The drums are dominating and the guitars (including bass) are just a background sound.. I like the vocals. Got a bit of an A7X vibe going. The guitars need the most attention. The drums and vocals basically have a decent balance relatively.

Back