Please identify the vocal mic in this video

This is from March 1971 - The Ed Sullivan Show - Oliver

Any idea what mic he's using here? No visible cable. Is the cable run up through the stand-gooseneck and the mic just plugs into that? Hmmm . . never seen that before.

Oliver Ed sullivan Mic.jpg

Oliver Ed sullivan Mic 2.jpg

Anglia TV here in England had a sound supervisor called Geoff, and he used to make up angled goosenecks. AKG and others had capsule extenders for the 451 series, that looked good on camera, so Geoff bought thin copper heating tube from a plumbers merchant, threaded coax down the inside and put XLRs on the end, and bent them over his knee. If this was a British picture, I’d have thought of his bodges.

It does kinda look like metal tubing, and if there is cabling, might it be hard-wired to the mic - no plugs? I know The Ed Sullivan show often had singers lip-sync into a dead mic, maybe these are just props with no wiring.. ? The purple-ish color in these shots is probably from overhead lighting. Another segment had the Everly Brothers using a pair of these which had silver (stainless?) housings and screens.

I think it does look better than a cable dangling down...goosenecks hadn't thought of that invention for years.

the ovation acoustic guitar a new design...McCartney/wings was into those too during that time....never liked how they felt, seemed plastic an weird...lol but then I never thought bottle water would sell, it seemed such a dumb idea..

The Main mic is what people have said it was - but I’d bet there are more mics than just one - for example when the backup singing starts it is balanced between the Julien Baker , at the Piano and Lucy Dacus, to the left and Baker is facing away from the mic - it looks like there is something with cable on the right end of the piano to pick here up - or maybe they are getting audio from the Camera behind the piano.

I think it does look better than a cable dangling down...goosenecks hadn't thought of that invention for years.

the ovation acoustic guitar a new design...McCartney/wings was into those too during that time....never liked how they felt, seemed plastic an weird...lol but then I never thought bottle water would sell, it seemed such a dumb idea..
I had one of those Ovations - I didn't like it at all. The back was very slippery and it reeked of a chemical smell that hit me every time I opened the case. The strings were hard to fret, even with the action lowered. I had it for 34 years and played it maybe 8-10 times. I donated it to a local music school during my big liquidation.

Back