Passive Monitor Setup Suggestions

JCinator

Hello everybody, this is my first post!
It seems like people here are very knowledgeable and helpful, so maybe I can get some of that helpful knowledge haha!

I recently came across a pair of krk r6's at $120ea., I though this was a pretty good deal so I got them.
However, now I realize I probably should have done a little more research beforehand. I've been looking all over online and a couple of music stores, but have failed to find exactly what I need.

These are passive monitors so a power amp is needed. I just can't find exactly what I need, each monitor puts out 50 - 150W (8 ohms). Any suggestions out there? My budget let's me spend around $120 give or take $20.

I also have an audio interface with XLR outputs, if I get the power amp would I be able to use these connections? How would that be set up, since there are no XLR connections on the R6s?

Should I just get rid of these and purchase an active monitor?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm just looking for some suggestions. Thanks everybody in advance!

You just need to start looking for a deal on a suitable amplifier.

First of, your speakers don't put out 50-150 watts. The speaker puts out 107dB(SPL) peak, depending on the amplifier you're using.

The nominal amplifier for your speakers would be one putting out about 100 watts continuous per channel into 8 ohms. However, there are lot's of arguments about using an amp that's anything from 1.5 to 2.5 times this figure. The theory is that an amp driven into clipping is more likely to damage speaker coils. Frankly, I'd worry about this far more in a live sound situation than for studio monitoring. If you push you amp/speakers to the max you'll soon be too deaf to record music anyway. Around 100 watts should be fine.

You ask about XLRs. Your wiring will be interface (XLR)--->Amplifier (? connector)--->Speaker (Binding posts). Unless you find a very professional amp, chances are the input will be unbalanced, probably on RCA/Phono sockets. This isn't a problem--just the the suitable XLR->Phono adaptor cable.

There's nothing wrong with the amp/passive speaker combination--indeed, that's what I use. In fact, there can be advantages since the volume knob on the amp gives you a quick was to turn your monitors on/off while tracking. Similarly, there's no reason not to look at/use a good quality domestic hifi amp which should sound fine.

Wow, I think that post gave me more info than 2 weeks of research haha! Thanks A LOT!!

So, any suggestions on specific amp brands, models, specs, etc?
I'm really not as informed as I should be on this amp, wattage, channels, wiring stuff.

Should I get say a 2-channel amp? I don't think I need more than that. Can a get a lower wattage (maybe like a 60 watt per channel) 4 channel amp and bridge into two channels?

I found a couple in my price range with decent reviews, but maybe you guys have other recommendations.

This one seemed like a really good deal at first sight, double what you suggested as far as the watts but the price seems really low. Technical Pro 2 Channel Amp. 200W @ 8 ohms. What do you guys think of the brand?
Technical Pro AW1 Torque Audio 2-Channel Power Amplifier

This is another one from the same maker, these both have clipping indicators and some other cool features.
Technical Pro LX1100 2U Professional 2CH Power Amplifier

One more from the same maker, but this one actually has a balanced XLR input, 1200W peak power and 210W @ 8 ohms, yet it's still $139. Is there a reason these are so cheap? Others I looked up with these same specs were at least twice the price.
Technical Pro SLIMPRO-B1200 1U Amplifier 1200 Watts

Sorry if these are dumb questions, just trying to get everything perfect before I really start investing on this stuff.
Keep the info coming! god knows I need it haha!

PS. I tried to post links to the sites, but I don't have enough posts yet. I just posted the models hopefully you guys don't mind looking at them.

Yes, you need 2-channel (in effect, 'stereo'), and you don't need any more channels than that unless you are going to start mixing for surround sound and get more speakers.

"Technical Pro" sounds like one of those made-up names you see for Chinese junk equipment on ebay all the time. You get what you pay for - more than likely any of these will distort at low volume and crap out on you in a year or less. Like Bobbsy suggests, any regular hifi amp shuold work fine for you.

Here's from one Amazon review of a '4000 watt' amp: As has been my universal experience with TPRO gear - sound is great, quality control is less than satisfactory. If you don't mind replacing your gear every 2 years or so
I see on the same Amazon page, suggested products including the Pyle and Seismic Audio gear - all low quality Chinese stuff.
At B+HPhoto they have this 125 watt/channel TPro amp shown for $169.00 - I can't imagine why a 250 watt amp would need 2 fans, but likely they are noisy and you'll have to turn the amp off when recording with mics.

Cool, once again I really appreciate all the help. I was having trouble finding a good amp at an affordable price. I was really tempted to just try those technical pros out. Until I found this guy on craigslist selling his alesis ra100 for $80.
I've heard nothing but good things about the brand and apparently by looking at the specs it puts out 75W per channel at 8 ohms. Do you guys think that'd be enough wattage? last thing I want to do is clip the monitors. I really ran up against my budget real quick doing this, so I don't think I would mind getting just something decent to use for the moment and when I get a little more money to blow on this stuff I'll upgrade the amp if needed. What do you guys think, would this be good for my intentions at the moment?

You're not going to 'clip the monitors' with that amp. Clipping is distortion caused by putting too much volume/voltage/current/signal into the input circuitry of a device.
The amp will start distorting long before you get it to full volume. Without knowing the efficiency of those speakers, I venture to say you are never going to be mixing/monitoring with the amp set at that kind of full volume. 150 watts (75 per channel) is loud unless you are in a big room and way back from the speakers.

Check out Craigslist for old Carver amps. I bought an early 90's PM-120 amp at GC for $150. Puts out 60w/side and is more than enough to power my Klipsch 2.2's. I usually have the amp set to -8dB with channel faders on my mixer set below unity. If I really want to blast it in my room here I'll give it one more notch to -5dB on the amp and set the faders to unity. You can hear it out in the front yard at that level.

Balanced XLR and TRS inputs.

Still has the original price sticker on it: $560US.

Keep in mind you are ideally gonna be doing critical listening at about 80dB or less. In fact 80dB is the threshold for hearing damage over time.

You're not going to 'clip the monitors' with that amp. Clipping is distortion caused by putting too much volume/voltage/current/signal into the input circuitry of a device.
The amp will start distorting long before you get it to full volume. Without knowing the efficiency of those speakers, I venture to say you are never going to be mixing/monitoring with the amp set at that kind of full volume. 150 watts (75 per channel) is loud unless you are in a big room and way back from the speakers.

Shouldn't do unless something is very wrong.

The "volume" controls on 99% of amps are simply attenuators for the input levels. The amp is continuously putting out whatever level of gain it is specified at no matter what the volume knob is set at. If the amp adds 20dB of gain to the input signal it is always adding 20dB--it just gets quieter because you reduce the input, not the output.

Therefore, unless there's a mis-match in the level spec between the device driving the amp and the input stages of the amp (i.e. the interface is capable of putting out a higher level than the amp can accept, the amp should never go into clipping.

What DOES often happen is that, if the amp is under specced for the speakers, users turn up levels back at the mixer/interface stage and add that 20dB (or whatever) gain to an already-clipped signal. An effective square wave at, say, 150 watts, can generate a lot of heat in the speaker coils and potentially damage the speaker.

Check out Craigslist for old Carver amps. I bought an early 90's PM-120 amp at GC for $150. Puts out 60w/side and is more than enough to power my Klipsch 2.2's. I usually have the amp set to -8dB with channel faders on my mixer set below unity. If I really want to blast it in my room here I'll give it one more notch to -5dB on the amp and set the faders to unity. You can hear it out in the front yard at that level.

Balanced XLR and TRS inputs.

Still has the original price sticker on it: $560US.

Keep in mind you are ideally gonna be doing critical listening at about 80dB or less. In fact 80dB is the threshold for hearing damage over time.

I just returned a Carver for $90 at GC. It was used and tried and an awesome amp PM175. I just didnt need it.
I have a Carver 1200 for a PA amp and it will be kept when the PA is upgraded.

funny I would have died for that kind of gear in its day, now it seems its bottom line stuff.....but then so where used Fender 1960 tube amps and the like in the early 70's. I wonder if those power amps will ever re-appear as collectors start snatching them up raising the value.

to the OP, KRK 6 and a Carver would be a great setup for $230ish.

I have one of the Alesis amps ..... does a good job at a cheap price.
75 watts a channel should be plenty unless you're deaf or trying to be.

Thanks for all the info guys!
I was looking at the Carver amps like 'c7sus' recommended and found some pretty good looking deals.

What do y'all think about this one:
austin(.)craigslist(.)org/ele/3652450947(.)html

That's just one of the ones I found, but it seemed like the better deal and the specs match perfectly with what I'm looking for (which now I actually know what it is because of you guys lol)

is it the pm300...that should work fine, probably any of them will be a good amp (if its working etc..). assuming it
I have two sets of active speakers and they are KRKV6 60watt/30watt and YSM1P 85/30....and they are plenty at that wattage.
I had the Alesis for awhile and never had an issue with that either
ymmv...

Back