old Shure's - a 565SD the 70's

CoolCat

I had to try an old Shure,,,,
565SD UNISPHERE 1- USA- ( Freddie Mercury-Queen live mic...er...Daltry...er..Mick and Rod...er...) and first impression was amazed that it still worked! lol

Its XLR not 4 pin, 1972-74
US so its before 1984 Mexico
...probably 1972-74's is a good guess.
1973 ish they started..like Woodstock time. Chrome! Shiny! geeez...adverts LedZeppline WHO, QUEEN Stones, etc...etc... 565 was popular.

Opened it up and the mesh, the foam and the cloth all designed for low "P pop" issues and man it really works well and up close too...weird how they can eliminate the P-Pop?
The Shure literature points out the "close vocal" built to "reduce P-pops".
The SSsss'shandled well too, which most the dynamics I have seem to do. Theres a large transformer in that thing, lol, no glob glue really I could see the transformer, where the Anniversary SM58 I have is completely solid white glue filled, probably more rugged and solid and RF noise free. Compared to my other 545,58, 57 sound wasnt anything an EQ couldnt deal with though. It is a dynamic and required my interface preamp to be 100%, but for my outboard pre no problem.

1.8 mv/pa aka -57db

SHURE's at $100 mic +/-50 depending on condition etc...
the 565SD- vintage with XLR plug seems to have a very nice crisp sound. Maybe closer to the 545 I have.
Funny they were about $100 in the 70's and still about $100 40-50yrs later!

now wheres that old Queen folder of music... :listeningmusic:

Attachments

• SHURE 565SD pic.png
    SHURE 565SD pic.png
    466.3 KB · Views: 4
So cool. I'm astounded that the foam isn't totally disintegrated after all these years. Wow.

Mick

yeah the mesh is pretty beat up but the foams good! and the capsule cloth perfect.
I see the R65 still sells at $28 for the chrome ball-screen on the Shure site. The mic says $135 on Shure site today, Amazon has some at $99 with clip.

been around

Back