Old dog/new tricks

Monster Hands

Hi, I’ve just recently started building a very basic home studio, I decided I hate using computers for recording so this is an attempt at budget analog recording. Before everyone piles on and lets me know how much easier DAW’s are: yes, I’ve heard all the arguments. I want to keep everything as close to analogue as a possible. My recorder is an old tascam 424 MKI, my mixdown deck is a teac cx-271. I love the sound of tape and tubes so I’m planning on buying/using units like the ART MPA’s and mp/c’s for space saving purposes. My budget for this is *tiny* (most of what I’ve purchased so far has been at or under $100) so any suggestions for well made/designed analog gear would be most helpful. Most of my experience recording has been on the performance end and not really behind the controls so I welcome the challenge.

Good luck with your adventure. I'm not a fan of going the cassette route, the quality was always lacking to me with the system. However, I get your hesitance to use a computer for audio (although it's INFINITELY easier than it was 20 years ago). You might also consider the all in one recorders. You can get older ones relatively cheap and the sound quality is really good. Older units like the Tascam 2488 series and DP24/32s, Yamaha AW1600, Zoom R24, Boss BR series, Roland VS recorders can give you excellent results. Newer units use memory cards that you can use just like a cassette with the advantages of a hard drive.

You don't need a computer until you want to dump your finished masterpiece to Soundcloud or Youtube. Workflow is basically like the old cassette units without the rewind time and hiss and maintenance issues with old cassette gear (my Yamaha's rewind belt turned to goo, and it's a PAIN to replace.)

Like Rich, I think cassette is poor medium for building songs but, no accountin!! You might consider a 'half way house'? A hand held rercorder. My son loves his Tascam Pro 40X. That would at least allow you to dump songs to a computer where you can store them with no fear of quality* loss.

If you like valve kit, look around for one of the Blackstar HT pedals. Just about 90% of their sound is due to the 12AX7 running at 300 volts. Takes guitar of course but there is no reason why one could not be inserted as an effect if you are a bit cute with signal routing?

N very B, A great many of the "tube sound" mic pre amps on the market run the valve at a very low voltage and this is really not comparable to a Vox AC30 et al in full cry!

*NOT that there will be much to lose! (sorry, could not resist)

Dave.

Hi, I’ve just recently started building a very basic home studio, I decided I hate using computers for recording so this is an attempt at budget analog recording. Before everyone piles on and lets me know how much easier DAW’s are: yes, I’ve heard all the arguments. I want to keep everything as close to analogue as a possible. My recorder is an old tascam 424 MKI, my mixdown deck is a teac cx-271. I love the sound of tape and tubes so I’m planning on buying/using units like the ART MPA’s and mp/c’s for space saving purposes. My budget for this is *tiny* (most of what I’ve purchased so far has been at or under $100) so any suggestions for well made/designed analog gear would be most helpful. Most of my experience recording has been on the performance end and not really behind the controls so I welcome the challenge.
Wow... welcome to HR, and thank you for being that brave! I agree with @TalismanRich and @ecc83 and while analogue is all fine and good, I do recommend trying those all-in-ones before using any kind of tape etc. Especially if you want anyone to ever hear your music! It also allows you to be a bit flexible (you can "undo" most everything, quite useful if you're just starting out). "Tape and tubes" of any worthwhile quality honestly cost a fortune and hardly sound better than a lot of free plugins (though I understand and actively participate in the desire for the real thing).

As far as budget stuff, used gear is usually fine as long as it is from a legit source.

Ok since the original post I’ve been hound-dogging reverb, and so far I’ve picked up a golden age pre-73 jr, a pair of presonus blue max compressors and a warm WA76 (needing repairs) all for under $650. Found a local warm dealer willing to work on the WA76. I haven’t gotten too deep into tracking in the last month because of the holiday season but I’ve been doing lots of homework on gear!

*oh and I just won a mislabeled tascam 122 off eBay 😂 for $25

Attachments

• 88BA7BF5-94BD-4816-87DB-1E02DA4B1664.png
    88BA7BF5-94BD-4816-87DB-1E02DA4B1664.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
Back