Noobie question for mixers/recording drums

Need more info

You didn't say how much processing power your computer had, what kind of drive and what speed and what other equipment you had. You need at least an 8 channel AD/DA converter to do what you want. Changing mixers won't help until you have a way to run all those mikes into the computer. USB will handle it but your computer might not be up to it. I run an ASUS laptop with an i7 Sandy Bridge co-processor into an M-Audio eight channel converter. It handles everything just fine.
Rod Norman
Engineer

Hello everyone! As you can tell I am totally new to this....1 post, YAY!

I have a 6 piece set that i am currently mic'ing with a Yamaha MG166CX-USB board and Audix mics then trying to record into either garage band or Cubase LE 5. I unfortunately have found out that my mixer will only send over a mixed stereo signal rather than individual channels like I was hoping. I have a couple of buddies out in California that want to work on a project and need me to throw down some tracks for them. I really want to be able to record individual channels from my 10 mics... 4 toms, 1 kick, 2 overheads, 2 on snare, and 1 on hi-hats. Can I still do that with what I have and just figure a way around or do i need to buy a different board? I keep reading posts from 2010 saying that USB cant handle it...is thsi still true or has technology now allowed for this?

Thanks again!

Back