Newbie question! ( How to apply vsts to certain parts of a vocal take )

Utility

Ok, so I understand how to use plug-ins on one vocal track or multiple vocal tracks when routing them through a bus. What I need help with, is how to apply a vst plug-in effect on only certain "phrases" in a vocal take. An example of this would be instead of lets say having a whole chorus in auto-tune, having only certain words or sentences affected by it. I've played around with the envelopes a bunch but haven't been able to come up with it. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
It'd be fairly normal to just apply the auto tune process only where it's needed, so I don't get the question there..
Other plugs, what isn't the automation doing for you?

Can ALL plugins be automated? If a plugin doesnt have automation, you could copy the track, apply the plugin to one track, and use volume automation to switch back and forth. For vox it's real easy cuz there's so many points of silence between syllables, words, and phrases.

It'd be fairly normal to just apply the auto tune process only where it's needed, so I don't get the question there..

This was my thought as well... Autotune will ignore phrases that are in range according to your key signature... Unless you're going for some sort of vocoder effect or something?

clips and automation

Hi,
new here, but some familiarity with the sonar family...I'm up to the (legal) version of Sonar 8 Producer:

I sometimes split a clip around the section i want to apply a plugin, for me this is useful to isolate the section i want the effect on (could also just automate, below). The software doesn't seem to "hear" or "speak" the splits in any audible way.
then:
right click on the clip
add the audio effect from the drop-down menu

it is my sense that, yes, all plugins can be automated. In the upper right hand corner of every vst plugin dialog box there are four icons
l-r: ACT, RD, W, and "send all keystrokes to plugin"
I click the "W" and then any knob changes made during PLAYBACK--doens't have to be while recording per se will be recorded as automation and can later be edited with pointer if necessary.

hope I answered the right questions (and correctly).

Sincerely,

Ratchethead seems to answer my question pretty well, my brother is the one with sonar on his computer so I haven't had a chance to play with Ratchethead's suggestions yet, but it seems to be what I am looking for.

To clarify what I had said in the beginning, basically I have a VST plug-in, that occasionally I only want to affect certain parts of a vocal take instead of the whole vocal take. Using auto-tune was a bad example for my case, but maybe I gave the wrong scenario.

Lets say for example I had recorded a rapper rapping a verse, then a singer singing the chorus right after him on the same vocal take. (Im not that sloppy w/recording techniques but this is purely for example.) Now lets pretend the take was perfect and instead of having them re-record and etc, I wanted to just apply auto-tune or some kinda effect like a delay or what not to JUST the singer singing on the chorus in the take. Instead of applying the delay, auto-tune or whatever else I want specifically highlighted to the whole vocal take.

I hope this clarifies what I am looking for. I avidly recorded on nothing but mediocore daws before, so I am having a lot of manipulation problems with sonar.

Oh btw, if anyone checking this thread knows how to do the pitch shift through sonar to do the downsouth "screwed" effect on vocals, that info would be handy as well. Which is applicable to why I need better plug-in manipulation.

Edit: Yes Ratchethead's method works fine. Thank you Ratchethead, I've been at this for weeks and its been driving me insane (btw I hate that it was so simple in the end) THANKS!

Last edited:
Oh btw, if anyone checking this thread knows how to do the pitch shift through sonar to do the downsouth "screwed" effect on vocals, that info would be handy as well. Which is applicable to why I need better plug-in manipulation.

Edit: Yes Ratchethead's method works fine. Thank you Ratchethead, I've been at this for weeks and its been driving me insane (btw I hate that it was so simple in the end) THANKS!

happy to be of service. With regard to the pitch shift. you could either use the pitch shift plugin in sonar (producer anyway), maybe use v-vocal again and split the clip and only apply to the section in question (producer again), or cut the section using split, right click the new split clip, select groove clip option. this turns the clip into a "groove clip" which allows you to double click the clip and then you can view the "pitch" envelope and drag the pitch for each slice to shift it in the directions you want...very easy. there are a number of free vst plugins out on the net...also an option.

Best,

Ratchethead seems to answer my question pretty well, my brother is the one with sonar on his computer so I haven't had a chance to play with Ratchethead's suggestions yet, but it seems to be what I am looking for.

To clarify what I had said in the beginning, basically I have a VST plug-in, that occasionally I only want to affect certain parts of a vocal take instead of the whole vocal take. Using auto-tune was a bad example for my case, but maybe I gave the wrong scenario.

Lets say for example I had recorded a rapper rapping a verse, then a singer singing the chorus right after him on the same vocal take. (Im not that sloppy w/recording techniques but this is purely for example.) Now lets pretend the take was perfect and instead of having them re-record and etc, I wanted to just apply auto-tune or some kinda effect like a delay or what not to JUST the singer singing on the chorus in the take. Instead of applying the delay, auto-tune or whatever else I want specifically highlighted to the whole vocal take.

I hope this clarifies what I am looking for. I avidly recorded on nothing but mediocore daws before, so I am having a lot of manipulation problems with sonar.

There's a couple of ways to do that. First off, get out your scissors and cut out the section where the second guy is singing. Now you can do one of two things. The first method is easier, but a little sloppier to keep track of:

1) Right-click on the clip. Go to "Insert Effect," Go to "Audio Effects," then find your plug-in.

or

2) After you cut out the clip(s) that you want to process, insert a new track. Then highlight all of the clips by holding down Ctrl as you click on each one. While they're still highlighted, let go of Ctrl and hold down Shift. Now you can drag them onto your new track. Now you can process them like normal. (Holding down the shift button horizontally locks the clip in time while you drag it, by the way).

Back