NEW

Go with what @RFR said - everything we could tell you has already been written down around here somewhere.

Right here in this forum, for instance : https://homerecording.com/bbs/threads/some-mixing-tips.329024/

Try recording some things, then follow the mixing advice in the mixing tips thread. Then render your mix to an .mp3 stereo file and post it here in the MP3 Mixing Clinic forum, OR.. add your MP3 to a SoundCloud, Dropbox or even YouTube account, then add a link to one of them here in the MP3 Mixing Clinic. We'll have a listen and try to answer your questions over there.

You'll get the hang of all this in a short time.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAE
The other problem of course is that we don’t know, what you know? So very often tips for experts, are not tips for beginners. We used to be able to guess a bit for degree level study, but now some experts already go uni to get the bit of paper, others know nothing at all, other than liking music, and go to uni hoping to learn.

only recently I have watched a live stream of students learning microphone choice and mic technique and been shocked at how their abilities varied. One was clearly clueless at the technology, based on their face, and their performance abilities were awful. I was left wondering how they got on the course? Others, grasped the technology and could clearly use it. The result was the person leading the session having to constantly drop his technology content down to a school level, to not lead this person behind.
all we know is you want to learn, so where on the scale are you. How many mixes have you already done? What are you most pleased with and what stumped you?

Cause im i will take anyones adivice i just started my degree in music production.
I'll echo what these guys have said. I would just add that the best way to learn is to do! Reading a book that says "do this, use that" is no substitute for putting a mic in front of a person and hitting record, listening, then doing it again.

Where are you studying? We often get folks from LA film school, but it often seems to be a "course requirement" rather than a desire to use the forum as a resource to learn and talk with others.

Anyway, welcome. Hope to see you hanging around for a while.

Spending time in the MP3 clinic following other people's processes from starting mix, through advice, to their later mixes is helpful.

Hey everyone im new to all of this and i was wanting tips on some mixing techniques.
Am I supposed to summarize 20 years of mixing into a reply? Maybe try to ask specific questions, you basically asked "can you tell me about chemistry, I just started my bachelor's degree program... in chemistry".

The other problem of course is that we don’t know, what you know? So very often tips for experts, are not tips for beginners. We used to be able to guess a bit for degree level study, but now some experts already go uni to get the bit of paper, others know nothing at all, other than liking music, and go to uni hoping to learn.

only recently I have watched a live stream of students learning microphone choice and mic technique and been shocked at how their abilities varied. One was clearly clueless at the technology, based on their face, and their performance abilities were awful. I was left wondering how they got on the course? Others, grasped the technology and could clearly use it. The result was the person leading the session having to constantly drop his technology content down to a school level, to not lead this person behind.
all we know is you want to learn, so where on the scale are you. How many mixes have you already done? What are you most pleased with and what stumped you?
I'm very new to all of this I've always wanted to learn how to make music and learn how to mix my own tracks. Since about 2012 I was in a really deep funk cause I lost my first child then and was in a car accident two weeks later and ever since then i was down but im finally ready to take that plunge and learn.

Good on you, Doc. If you have the requisite amount of patience, you can pick up a lot here. Just bear in mind, it takes time and like Talisman Rich said, there's no substitute for just doing.
It's a long, but ultimately fruitful, road.

Back