new to digital recording

Rylie

Have experience with old-school analog reel-to-reel tape recording, but new to the modern digital recording. My entry into this digital world is a TASCAM DP-32SD Portasound. I have the guitars/basses/drum machine and basically understand the direct in/out with the connections. I also have an Alesis QX49 midi keyboard. My understanding is, to connect/record the midi keyboard, to the Portasound, I need a synth sound module. That's where I have zero experience. I'm sure there are experienced people in this forum that can recommend sound modules. With a little research, I've discovered Roland Sound Canvas. However, with no experience with the subject, I'm uncertain if other products are a better choice. Asking for guidance/recommendations...thank you.

If you want to do this, then there are some nice products often on ebay from the 90s that have loads of amazing sounds. Roland Sound Canvas sounds are extensions of the basic GM midi sound set, and can be grouped into common types of instruments - real like pianos, brass and strings and lots of synth sounds. All Sound Canvas modules had similar sounds and my favourite was the 1080 - a rack mount SC unit with loads more synthesised weird ones - many heard on pop music of the time. Yamaha extended General Midi into their XG range of modules and again, even the cheapies sounds pretty decent.

If you see a stand alone XG or GS - Roland's extended range are worth looking for. You connect them to your keyboard with a MIDI cable and away you go!

Hi Rylie.
The Sound Canvas was a cheaper sawn version of Sonic Cell. I bought the Sonic Cell, and still use it often years later, connected to my Roland RD64 piano.
They are very good.
I later bought the flagship Integra 7, which is also very nice indeed.
In this age of VST instruments, you do not have to buy hardware, and could use your midi keyboard with virtual instruments.
I must say I prefer the hardware route.
I think your choice of Sound Canvas is a good one.

Back