New song today - But what if?

witm8

Hi all,

This is the first time that I've tried to mix 'do' a song with more than 4 tracks - I think that this ended up at 28 actually :facepalm:

I think that I bit off more than I can chew actually - so next time I will go for slightly less - but if anyone can maybe just point me in the right direction and mistakes that I've made in this first attempt that would be a great direction to head in.

The song can be found here on my Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/tim-summers/but-what-if

It's actually a song that I did *according to soundcloud 3 years ago* which I liked and thought that I should try and zuzz it up a bit

Original: https://soundcloud.com/tim-summers/little-lady

Many thanks :thumbs up:

This is pretty clean for jumping from 4 tracks to 28.

The big things that I would recommend looking out for are frequency-separation for the different voices and editing the vocal part.

For the former: Each instrument has its own sweet-spot of frequencies that are important to it and frequencies that are unimportant. You want to turn down the latter so that it doesn't interfere with the important frequencies on other instruments. (e.g. the vocal doesn't rely to heavily on 60-120 Hz, but if your vocal channel has volume in those frequencies, it interferes with the kick and bass.)

For the latter: It sounds like you probably compressed the vocal pretty heavily to get it's volume above the mix? This also means that all the extraneous noises (lip smacks, etc.) are much louder than they were before. You want to go through and clip those out so that we don't hear them in the final product.

This is going pretty well all said and done tho.

I'll echo a lot of Steve's comments from above. It mainly suffers from lack of separation between the instruments.

The verse reminds me of a sped-up version of "Here Comes the Sun." Your vocal melody for "Little lady" is pretty much spot on the same as "Little Darling" from that tune, albeit at a much faster tempo and in the key of D instead of A. :)

Nice, bouncy feel though, and the performances all sound nice.

The bass definitely needs more low end. Like others said, it kind of blends with the higher pitched guitar a bit too much. Try to use EQ to separate things out.

Vocals(and everything else) are trying to stay in the same real estate as everything else which causes mud and non-distinctness. Drums and bass are super low too. Has potential. Start with the drums and bass and work from there.

Back