New drum tuner.

There's a plug in Reaper called Reatune that will tell you frequency of a sound. It's really a tuner, but it's very sensitive and accurate. With monitoring switched on you can see it happen live. I think I could mimic this thing with a mic and Reatune. I'll give it a try and report back.

There's a plug in Reaper called Reatune that will tell you frequency of a sound. It's really a tuner, but it's very sensitive and accurate. With monitoring switched on you can see it happen live. I think I could mimic this thing with a mic and Reatune. I'll give it a try and report back.

Do let me know how it turns out, I've an app that can tell me the specific frequency on my phone, but it seems a little to complicated to set up a stand for a phone lol

Drum tuning has always eluded me tho, I'm far from the best drummer let alone tuner in the world but it would be good to get the studio kit tuned up.

So now the debate, do i buy or make?

My GC has them. In the world of tuners for anything $99 is nothing (guy at GC said it was $99 so that must be what the street is for anyone wondering). I'm gonna snag one tomorrow.

Well I did pick one up a couple days ago. I can get lugs within +/-.4Hz of each other, not sure if I can get closer than that without being really careful with how much I turn the key rods. I'll have to try this with cast hoops as I have heard you can get closer than I got with my cheap ass snare.

Definitely a nice device to have though.

If it works fairly well, I want one of those. Tuning drums is extremely difficult in my opinion (admittedly with very little experience), as it is so hard to correctly determine pitch vs. other instruments. Trial and error takes forever too...

I can't answer that question yet (how long).

As for the price, it was $99 at GC. Seems spotty at the moment though, I guess they are expected everywhere in April. I somehow managed to snag the last one in stock at my local GC.

Your in need of a drum tech Greg!

I kind of have one. A few actually. They're more like roadies. We practice in a residential neighborhood in the singer/rhythm guy's garage. There's these high school kids on his street that hang out at our rehearsals. I put their asses to work lugging my shit around in exchange for allowing them to come to gigs with us and getting them in the venues by being "with the band". They're nice kids, but I'd never let those goofballs tune my drums. :laughings:

Back