New Cubase User: Midi I/O issues

Daf57

HI all!

New to Cubase 12 Pro, coming from Reaper. I seem to be stuck right off the bat. Probably user error but can't seem to figure it out.
New project, I create a new instrument track, I choose (in this instance) True Pianos VST, output is stereo out. Track is created - I now drag and drop a midi file (loop) onto the track. I can not hear it through the Stereo outs. There is no meter for the track or stereo out. I open the midi editor and can click on the notes and hear them, with VST sounds, so I know they are in range. But even tho I can hear them in the editor it's still not audible in the stereo mix. In the inspector I have "All midi inputs" and True Painos as the instrument. At this point I can hear the notes if I play my MPKMini2 keyboard - but just need the midi loop notes to play.

So I changed the instrument in the inspector to Kontakt. Kontakt comes up and depending on what instrument I choose from the library I may get some audio - for instance Session Strings works - but something like Deft Lines or Glaze does not.

So maybe some output routing issues I'm not used to? In Reaper I can simple drag drop midi onto intrument track and it works ootb.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! :)

Daf

I'm not much help - I just created a Cubase project - with synths, samplers and pianos - and I can drag any MIDI track into any of them and they all play. Have you looked at the MIDI file and seen if it's something silly - like a controller with a 0 for velocity or volume or expression that some of the sounds are obeying and shutting off the audio, while others ignore them? Sorry I can't make mine misbehave. Feel free to post your dodgy midi file and I'll try loading that in and seeing if that goes quiet?

Hey Rob,
Doesn't matter what midi file, I've tried many, many. All tested in Reaper first. Also - while in Cubase I open the List Editor and removed all but the notes. Still no sound - but curiously I get sound and track/stereo meters if I click the note in the midi editor or use the keyboard. Just won't play the midi notes. :(

If you connect a keyboard, can you play the sounds, and then record them? Do the track meters move when there's no sound being produced?

Yes - with that config my AkaiMKP2 is able to play and record the midi notes with sound and meter. No problem there. Just dragging and dropping midi files not working.\

Thanks

I mean, so if I click on the VST's graphic piano keys - it works, sound, meters, etc...
If I click on the notes in the midi editor it works, as well.
If I play my keyboard, it works...
drag and drop midi file (with assigned vst instrument) ... nope.

Very odd. First time I've ever had this problem.

Back