Neumann TLM193 for classical music

Btyre2013

Hi, I have seen a very reasonably priced Neumann TLM193 that I'm thinking of buying...

I already own the TLM103 but get frustrated with having only one mic of this quality, and I sometimes get irritated with the boosted high end of the 103, even though it sounds good. I've heard that the 193 is very neutral and unhyped in the high end, from looking at the neumann website it looks extremely similar if not identical sonically to the U89i in cardiod mode, am I right in presuming it's the same sonically? but for far less money... I have also listened to several clips on youtube and where I can find them in higher resolution to the 193 and have been very impressed with it, and the way it handles the high frequencies, I'm starting to hear a lot more since getting neumann KH120a monitors as well which have really helped me hear quality and detail, this is part of the problem, once you get good monitors, most cheap mics really do sound bad. :facepalm:

the problem I have is that I can't go and listen to a real U89i or TLM193 and compare them. I've even been tempted to save up way more and just get the U89i eventually, in around 3 months because that's how long it'd take me realistically.

The other thing I'd like to know more about is what is better? M/S or a matched pair? I've recently been trying M/S and am surprised at how good it can sound, using the TLM103 and a Rode NT2-A in fig 8 mode. Ideally I'd like to know opinions from engineers who have had a lot of experience in classical guitar recording and what your thoughts are?

as I've mentioned in other posts I might consider the Neumann KM 184 as well....

opinions appreciated :D

regards,

Ben.

Hi, I have seen a very reasonably priced Neumann TLM193 that I'm thinking of buying...

I already own the TLM103 but get frustrated with having only one mic of this quality, and I sometimes get irritated with the boosted high end of the 103, even though it sounds good. I've heard that the 193 is very neutral and unhyped in the high end, from looking at the Neumann website it looks extremely similar if not identical sonically to the U89i in cardioid mode, am I right in presuming it's the same sonically? but for far less money...

Many people who don't like the TLM 103 prefer the Gefell M930 at a similar price.

The TLM 193 is a nice mic., but it has one major difference from the U89 - the U89 has a transformer and the TLM 193 doesn't.

The TLM 193 is, in effect, a cardioid only version of the TLM 170. The TLM 193, TLM 170 and U89 all use the same capsule. the 170 and 89 are both switchable; but the 89 has a transformer and the 170 doesn't. The 193 is transformerless and cardioid only.

But the cardioid frequency response curves are the same for all three mics.

...the problem I have is that I can't go and listen to a real U89i or TLM193 and compare them. I've even been tempted to save up way more and just get the U89i eventually, in around 3 months because that's how long it'd take me realistically.

They will sound different as you will get the colouration (distortion) added by the transformer with the U89 - the TLM 193 is closer to the TLM 170 as both these are transformerless.

The other thing I'd like to know more about is what is better? M/S or a matched pair? I've recently been trying M/S and am surprised at how good it can sound, using the TLM103 and a Rode NT2-A in fig 8 mode. Ideally I'd like to know opinions from engineers who have had a lot of experience in classical guitar recording and what your thoughts are?

The Gefell M930 is available as a matched stereo set, but I think you will have to buy two "unmatched" TLM 193 (but Neumann mics have a close tolerance so matching should not be necessary).

If you are going MS, personally, I would use a proper single diaphragm fig.8 mic., rather than a switchable-pattern one.

I hope this helps.

Many people who don't like the TLM 103 prefer the Gefell M930 at a similar price.

The TLM 193 is a nice mic., but it has one major difference from the U89 - the U89 has a transformer and the TLM 193 doesn't.

The TLM 193 is, in effect, a cardioid only version of the TLM 170. The TLM 193, TLM 170 and U89 all use the same capsule. the 170 and 89 are both switchable; but the 89 has a transformer and the 170 doesn't. The 193 is transformerless and cardioid only.

But the cardioid frequency response curves are the same for all three mics.

They will sound different as you will get the colouration (distortion) added by the transformer with the U89 - the TLM 193 is closer to the TLM 170 as both these are transformerless.

The Gefell M930 is available as a matched stereo set, but I think you will have to buy two "unmatched" TLM 193 (but Neumann mics have a close tolerance so matching should not be necessary).

If you are going MS, personally, I would use a proper single diaphragm fig.8 mic., rather than a switchable-pattern one.

I hope this helps.

thanks john, that is all very helpful, I appreciate the advice

Back