need step by step how to record live drums

murphmusik

For the life of me..i cannot figure out how to record live drums to seperate tracks. I use a 4 channel mixer into an M-Audio 1814, into computer/ Sonar 7 producer.

Forgive me if I am not providing essential info....but please tell me what else you need to know in order to help me...

Thanks very much!

~Erin

Why are you using a mixer if you have the 1814??

There's a stickie on recording drums in the drums and percussion section. Might give you some ideas.

well that's the thing...I know so little about recording live drums...and how to route them to seperate tracks thru or in conjunction with the 1814.....

Thanks for pointing me to the drums section...I'll check it out... :-)

Oh wait. I just took a second look at the 1814, it only has two mic pres. To do separate tracks for each mic, you'll have to figure out how to go from each channel of the mixer to the line level In's on the 1814. If the mixer has inserts, you can use patch cords and put them in halfway, to the first click.

What kind of mixer is it?

I'm not sure how else to get 4 channels into your computer with your set up. The patchcord into the inserts is probably your only method. Basically, you need one input channel for each mic you want to use. Your interface only has two mic pre's, but 6 line level inputs.

You can buy another external mic pre for a reasonable price, then run all your mics straight into the 1814. That would exclude the mixer altogether.

thanks so much for your advice.....I think I'll try the patch cord solution first & see how that goes.

Thanks again...

Back