Need Pointers Recording Drum Tracks

geusey

Hello All,
So, my band's been working on some new material lately, and I decided to go ahead and start recording some of it. All our other demos are recorded live, all at once, on one track without vocals, then the vocals are added later. Honestly, they sound pretty great (probably because there are only 3 of us, so its not that much of a nightmare to mix), but they could sound much better with multiple tracks, so I'm going to lay down a drum track to one of our new songs tomorrow. I am somewhat limited by my equipment, so I decided to let you guys know exactly what I'm using and what my plan is and see if you had any pointers for me.
here's the equipment I'm using:

Early 70's Ludwig Clear Vistalite 4-piece kit (Yes, I'm bragging. I love the sound I get with this kit.)
Pyle Pro 7 Drum mic kit (Cheap and not-too-great sounding, but its done okay in the past)
Mackie 16-channel mixer running into a Creative 5.1 USB sound card
I also have a Shure SM57 and 58 at my disposal, along with an AKG D5

Because of the equipment I have, I can only do one stereo track for the drums. My plan is to us the bass drum mic from the Pyle kit, the SM 57 on the snare, Pyle kit mics for the toms, and put the SM 58 elsewhere in the room. The reason I was thinking this is because we have some pretty good sounding demos in which I don't use overheads, but the drums are being picked up by the vocal mics in the room, and it has a great sound in those recordings. That, plus I really don't like the sound those Pyle condensers have.

Do you have any thoughts on how to set the EQ's on each mic? I only have 3 band equalizers on the mixer to work with before it all gets mashed together on one track in the DAW, so I want to get it right. So far, it looks like its going to be a lot of trial and error, but I'm a good player playing on spectacular drums, so I'm confident I can make it sound good in the end. Any thoughts?

You're gonna need to do a bunch of test runs with guitars and bass to see how the drums sound as just a stereo track.

Exactly. It can be done but it'll take a lot of experimentation. Your room mic will be the wild card in this if you plan on using one.

Back