Need help recording guitar and vocal on Cubase LE5

ericpgus

Hi. I am a newbie. My recording gear is as follows:

Cubase LE5, Alpha Lexicon, M-Audio Buddy, Shure SM58, AT2020 Audio-Technica, running Windows 7

I am trying to record guitar and vocal through my M-Audio Buddy into Cubase. Direct guitar plug in, direct mic plug in- both to the M-Audio Buddy, connected through the Alpha Lexicon.

I am not sure how to set up the Devices>VST Connections in Cubase. I want to record guitar and vocal in split tracks. From what I understand, when I play the music back, the vocal should be in one ear, guitar in the other. I was told to record in stereo. Also, I was told Cubase should be in Mono. Setting up adding the audio tracks in Cubase is also a challenge to record both guitar and vocal.

After the two tracks are recorded, they can be downloaded as mp3's and mixed.

Eric

First step is to select the ASIO driver for the Alpha in the Device Panel. Sorry, I don't have a screenshot readily available.

The set up the Inputs and Outputs in VST Connections. Each channel on the Alpha should be a Mono source.

Then Add an Audio track. You want it to be Mono; that's important. Add one track for guitar, one track for the mic. Both Mono.

Then select the inputs for each track. Guitar for one, mic for the other.

When you mix, you can assign panning across the stereo field for each track.

There is a stickie in the Cubase forum that might have screenshots for setting up the inputs.

BTW: Following up on your posts in the other thread; your step-son is wrong about recording in stereo. You want two separate mono tracks as Armistice first recommended.

Thank you, Chili. I sincerely appreciate your help on this. Thank you very much. When I try this (soon) I will let you know how it goes.

My step son told me the sound card should be in stereo. That would be the Alpha, I presume. The M-Audio doesn't give you a choice, I don't believe.

Thanks! I'll look for the stickie as well.

Back