Need help in finding what kind of device this would be.

Richay13

I'm looking for a device (i think control surface) that I can plug via usb or interface where I have controls like recording buttons, channel selections, ect when I'm 20 feet away ffrom my desktop where I would record. What am I looking for?
I have no clue what this device or even spec is called. I'm sure there are digital/midi mixers that do this as well, and though I'm not closed to the idea of taking that route - I'd like to get something cheaper for now. however, if I did end up looking into a digital/midi mixer, I would need to know what that spec or that type of accessibility is called. Any help is appreciated/

Thank you in advance
-Raquel

PS. I'm also open to product recommendations
(also apologies if this belongs in the newbie area - I'm not exactly new to recording but I'm new to convenient equipment)

Many DAWs can have remote control from a pad or similar device - it depends on what kit you have that you want to record? I'm assuming you mean a desktop computer that you record on, or do you want a portable recording device of some kind that records itself?

Twenty feet can be or can't be a problem? Can you perhaps explain a bit what you have, want to do and some info?

Raquel, I use a foot switch to punch in and out of track. That is a TRS 1/4" cable to the interface, the switch is a non latching type in a simple housing.

Midi can send a command to the DAW too.

The cable can be 15 ft or 25 ft.

When I record drums I am 10 to 15 feet from my desk and I can still see my 24" monitor so I just use my wireless mouse on a stool next to where I'm playing. Not sure if I could see it from 20 feet but if I couldn't it would be an excuse to get a larger monitor. I don't need anything fancy for my DAW so a lower end or used monitor could be had pretty cheap.

Maybe look into Behringer "X Air" models like the XR12 & XR18 or the X32 digital mixer if you need the channels. They have no physical control surface, though, and everything is done via your wireless iPad or (Android) tablet. No personal experience, but I know some folks love them. If you need remote control of the DAW, then I'd look for a DAW that has that support in an app.

If you own a tablet or even a decent sized phone, you might find you can screen-share and control your desktop with Remote Desktop or VNC or similar.
Might not be what you're after but quite often I control my PC from my iPhone, when I'm polar aligning the telescope or something like that.

My solution for this is to use a laptop for the daw.
In the main recording room, it connects to a big 24" monitor, and interface.
I got a second interface for my other drums room, so I only need to move the laptop between the rooms.
You will need to see the screen clearly. That's why laptops are your friend.
On-screen buttons are small.
If I am barking up the wrong tree here, another option is a dedicated hardware recorder, close to you, with no monitor.
You could then tranfer the recorded tracks into your daw, for mixing.

All daws that I know of have keyboard shortcuts for everything, so you don't have to actually see the buttons to hit them with a mouse.

I use a Frontier Tranzport to control the DAW in the studio and a Frontier Alphatrack at home. Unfortunately both have been discontinued although the Presonus Faderport looks to offer similar facilities to the Alphatrack. The Tranzport is wireless while the Alphatrack is USB. The DAW that I use (Reaper) also has a built-in web server which allows you to control it from anything that can run a web browser - including phones and tablets.

I must admit that I really like the fader on the Alphatrack because it is much easier to use than on-screen faders. It is great to close your eyes and be able to adjust the level by ear and feel.

Back