Need a recommendation for an audio interface+mic

MidoBan

Need a recommendation for an audio interface, mic, software

Hi, i wanna start recording my music, and need a recommendation for some gear. I do mostly acoustic folk, soft rock, slow finger style, maybe light strumming. I doubt it says something about the gear, but i'm looking for "warmth" in my recordings.

Audio interface: Budget is 500$, i don't have to use all the 500$, if there's something cheaper that suitable for the job, i'd be happy to hear about it.
I'd like to have the possibility to record both guitar and vocals at the same time, and maybe another backing vocalist with a separate mic. So its three inputs if its possible in the budget.
I Don't have any experience with audio editing softwares yet, buy i considered the Mbox2 because you get the ProTools software with it and most of the other interfaces doesn't work with ProTools (not talking about the newest version), so i get the privilege of using ProTools, of course that if i wont like it, i can always use anything else. Is it right to refer to the ProTools support as a parameter in my decision or is it not that important?

Vocals microphone: Already have a MXL 9000, new in the box, so if you think something else is better for me, i'm able so sell it and get another one.
I'm not sure if i need a condenser or dynamic - share your thoughts.
Budget is around 300$.

Instrument microphone: Do i need one? Again, i'd like to have the possibility to play and sing simultaneously. Don't know about the budget, But i think you understand the budget area by now.

Software: I would like to get a recommendation for the editing software as well. Maybe i'm wrong, but i think that the music i'm looking into (as described above) is rather simple comparing to dance or modern electronic music. So maybe there are programs which are better suited for different kinds of music. I would like to know what is better suited for my usage.

I opened another thread not long ago, but realized that i didn't ask the right questions.

Thank you

Last edited:
I think I might look at a used MK319 ($100 LDC) for warm vocals. You can capture guitar and vocal in balance with a single LDC by adjusting the mic height. But you can't process the guitar track separately from the vocal track unless you record track by track. I would experiment with your vocal mic, and only add an SDC as necessary if you can't get the sound you want. I prefer an SDC on guitar, especially for the nuances of softer playing like fingerpicking - maybe save for an SM81 ($350), CEMC6 ($294), AT4021 ($285). But then you spend your time trying to remove the bleed between mics, and thinking about phase issues.

For interface in your range, I like the Emu 0404 USB specs and sound ($200), but it is only 2 analog + 2 digital ins. Very nice pres and excellent AD/DA converters - love the sound of it.

The priviledge of using Pro Tools?

:laughings:

Here's a tip: When you're PAYING for their overpriced software you've EARNED the right to use it.

So you'll use Reaper and not ProTools just because its expensive, or you don't like it?
The Mbox 2 is around 200$ and the ProTools 8 LE is included, so its not that bad..

Do whatever you want. It's your money. You don't even know what the features of Reaper are or the limitations of PTLE.

Do whatever you want. It's your money. You don't even know what the features of Reaper are or the limitations of PTLE.
I'm not saying i want to use PT at all, i honestly asked the question to know if you dislike PT for what it is or for what it costs, and if you would use Reaper if they had the same price. You're right, i really don't know anything about it, and thats why i'm asking for your opinions.

Reaper is a very popular new-comer who's popularity is based on features and performance...
Pro Tools is the the one time "only game in town" that's loosing popularity quickly as hardware availability and quality are not the deciding factor in work station software. At the same price Reaper, and pretty much every other commercially available DAW, blows PT out of the water.

Pro Tools and Avalon pre-amps are more studio bling then anything else nowadays. Living more on reputation then what they really bring to the table. Not that both aren't professional quality... there's just better for less available.

interface: for that price you can get a focusrite saffire pro 40 (eight preamps, up to 12 expandable inputs, and 20 outputs). Very flexable, good pres, and will do whatever you may need in the future.

mic: others can probably help more on this. Overall for that kind of music you'll likely need 2xSDC for acoustic guitar, 1xLDC for vocals, probably SM57 for drums and guitar cabs and lots of other stuff, and I also really like Fat Head Ribbons for guitars (acoustic and electric) and lots of other instruments too. This is all stuff that can be collected over time. For what you want to do I'd get on SDC and SM57 to start with.

DAW: Reaper. Get the trial and if you don't like it get something else...no money spent. If you like it pay the $40. The trial never expires and has all the same features as the paid version, the only difference is you paid and did the right thing. Put whatever the remainder from your budget into mics and you'll be set.

DAW: Reaper. Get the trial and if you don't like it get something else...no money spent. If you like it pay the $40. The trial never expires and has all the same features as the paid version, the only difference is you paid and did the right thing. Put whatever the remainder from your budget into mics and you'll be set.

Word! ..... I only wish they did this with microphones! ;)

interface: for that price you can get a focusrite saffire pro 40 (eight preamps, up to 12 expandable inputs, and 20 outputs). Very flexable, good pres, and will do whatever you may need in the future.

mic: others can probably help more on this. Overall for that kind of music you'll likely need 2xSDC for acoustic guitar, 1xLDC for vocals, probably SM57 for drums and guitar cabs and lots of other stuff, and I also really like Fat Head Ribbons for guitars (acoustic and electric) and lots of other instruments too. This is all stuff that can be collected over time. For what you want to do I'd get on SDC and SM57 to start with.

Yeh, i think thats the plan, 1 LDC and 2 SDCs (not sure what kind of yet), and the Pro 40. Reaper for a DAW.

Word! ..... I only wish they did this with microphones! ;)

Would have made things SO much easier :)

Back