Nasty ugly Zildjian A, but kinda cool!

TheMazk

Hey guys, by now most of you know I like to TIG weld damaged cymbals for fun and profit. Well the other day I got this Zildjian A 16" med. thin crash, that was really cracked bad, and while I was welding it back together, I forgot to brace the cymbal edge properly and it warped. Nasty warp, that made the repaired crash sound like a china mixed with white noise,lol. nothing special but still neat how an ugly ass Zildjian can still rock!
16crashwarped02.jpg16crashwarped01.jpg

Actually it sounds alright. I was gonna use it instead of a china,I know the Ipod does not record that great but, in person the cymbal is kinda neat sounding, EFX cymbal all the way, I wonder if I can get that warp out of it,lol.

Greg doesn't like chinas.

Also I can't tell if that cymbal souds good or not. Your camera mangles the audio. lol

Last edited:
We had a party last night for the little woman's birthday, and I let a few of my friends check that warped zildjian out, they agreed it sounded cool, my one friend said it sounded like a "china low boy" or something. It's like a china cymbal without the "pang", more like a crash with a wall of white noise behind it lol, and yes I need to record these better!

For the record:

Fuck greg, chinas are fantastic. lol

In fact, I'm gonna have 2 of them just so I can hear greg tell me how much he hates that I did it.

I'm willing to reserve judgement on the cymbal in question as you really can't tell if it's good or not based on the recording provided (the boon of consumer level camcorders).

China cymbals are the overused shit-sounding cymbal of choice for crap metal worldwide. They never sound good, and they're always abused by some goof just bashing away on one. Suckage.

Ah even better. I'm going to have 2, beat one for 80% of the song. Then just when you were like "oh thank God he stopped" start bashing on the other one for the remaining 20%.

I shall name the song "metal ode to Greg."

3pe1ki.jpg

I have another Zildjian thin crash that had an even worse crack, and while welding it the whole dang edge warped down on both sides. I'm, not done "fixing" it yet, but it sounds really neat, once again, china like, but no "pang" just a crash with a harmonic bend,and a warm fuzzy decay. I'm actually looking forward to adding that one to my kit, when I'm finished, grinding that curved section smooth is gonna be a PITA.

Back