My second Mix - R&B/HipHop song called "Alone"

5tarme2

Hey there a month ago or so I posted a few parts of a song I was working on and got outstanding feedback from you guys on what to work on what to change etc. I have spent some time learning my DAW and how to get the vocal into the mix,master etc and today I come to you guys with this. I've been working very hard the past 2 weeks on this to try to get my mix to sound comparable to other songs in the genre. I'm gearing up to release this soon but I just want it to sound the best it possibly can. Thanks! Everything was done on a rode NT1 through a focusrite 2i2.

View attachment Alone.mp3

Last edited:
I thought the autotune was a bit heavy. The vocal delivery was decent - very nice tone on the voice. Some of the delivery was indistinct - like the words were slurred. This is especially true in the early parts of the song, and then again near the end.

The bass is quite a bit too loud. It has a big low end boost and so it sounds a little sterile. Kick is pretty loud too.

The keys sounded good.

Not my genre...but I thought the low bass and and rest of the music sounded pretty good. I agree that the autotune was a little much but I know it sounds like the effect your going for.

I recorded a rap group years ago and they wanted to get some airplay on the radio but they had a lot of cuss words in theirs too...I made a second copy just for that purpose without the language...but needless to say it didn't have the same energy.

I thought the autotune was a bit heavy. The vocal delivery was decent - very nice tone on the voice. Some of the delivery was indistinct - like the words were slurred. This is especially true in the early parts of the song, and then again near the end.

The bass is quite a bit too loud. It has a big low end boost and so it sounds a little sterile. Kick is pretty loud too.

The keys sounded good.

Thanks for your input! I've been working on fine tuning it the past few days, would you recommend lowering the bass in general?

Thanks for the input/compliments I'm hard at work fine tuning it still lowering some autotuned backup vox. I've decided on recording a clean version as well already if by gods grace I one day end up on the radio haha.

Thanks for your input! I've been working on fine tuning it the past few days, would you recommend lowering the bass in general?

This is just my opinion... And I see Bruthish thought the bass was fine - so remember this is just my opinion...

I thought the bass sounded like it had a big low end boost. It gives the bass a kind of sterile, or rubbery sound. So if you boosted anything below 150hz or so, I would reduce that boost. After that, I would listen to how loud it is. But my guess is that I personally would want to lower the overall bass track volume by another db or so.

This is just my opinion... And I see Bruthish thought the bass was fine - so remember this is just my opinion...

I thought the bass sounded like it had a big low end boost. It gives the bass a kind of sterile, or rubbery sound. So if you boosted anything below 150hz or so, I would reduce that boost. After that, I would listen to how loud it is. But my guess is that I personally would want to lower the overall bass track volume by another db or so.

I was listening on a system with a sub and I thought it sounded good on it. It didn't overload it at all. However, to add what TM was saying, there is a point when you have too much low frequency in your mix and it will be an issue for people whose systems cannot handle it. Many systems you just won't hear it because its so low. You may here the initial snap of the kick but the rest will be lost. While it sounds cool, I think your song's hook is centered around that low frequency and many people just won't be able to get the full effect.

Thank you for your opinion, Your ears are better then mine haha. I'm eternally grateful to be able to learn from much more knowledgeable people about recording. I am new to mixing myself with this being my first song I've ever completed with home equipment. I've lowered the bass 2 db or so I hope it fixes what issues were there, my monitors are rather loud so I don't know much about bass but I boosted 98 frequency in the mix on this page.

Thank you for your opinion, Your ears are better then mine haha. I'm eternally grateful to be able to learn from much more knowledgeable people about recording. I am new to mixing myself with this being my first song I've ever completed with home equipment. I've lowered the bass 2 db or so I hope it fixes what issues were there, my monitors are rather loud so I don't know much about bass but I boosted 98 frequency in the mix on this page.

Back