My Generation

I did read a Shel Talmy interview a while ago where he explained how he was so innovative in recording drums way back when. All modesty aside, it probably did have some gems in there, but where that interview is now escapes me. Period correct drum heads, tuning, and Shel's mic techniques are probably most of what you need.

Hi! Anyone ever tried to get that lo-fi Keith Moon sound and how? :)

You mean like his mid 60's sound? Like "Happy Jack" kind of sound? Why would you want to sound like that? Keith Moon is one my all-time favorites, but I think his early drum sound is total ass. It should be pretty easy to get bad sounding drums if that's what you want.

I don't know about you, but I think the hard part about getting "lo fi Keith Moon" sounding drums is playing like Keith Moon. Get that down first, then worry about where to put the 2 mics you'll be using.

John Entwistle's opinion of Moon's drum sound on the "Tommy" album was that it was crap and sounded "like biscuit tins" !
I always rather liked Moon's playing and as such, his drum sound. It kind of went with Townshend's overdriven Rickenbacker and Entwistle's loud, precise, improvisatory bass.

Back