my experience with behringer 1204fx -> and changing it for..

Nei57

hi
i am looking for a mixer with 4 mic inputs and internal effects, for live use.

I went to a big pro store to buy mackie DFX6 but the salesman said they dont sell that model because its noisy(because of internal fx).i believed him.
I asked for Yamaha mg82 cx, which he said is okay, but for that money he would suggest me the behringer.
he said if i dont like it i can bring it back. so bought it- 1204fx:
-the sound....strange.my guitar doesnt sound like it should. (i was testing it with a pair of akgc1000)
-the preamp works like a button. it immediately amplifies the sound,and the level stays the same until the maximum-then the unhumanly loud noise appears.u dont want to experience it.
-and also- the low cut DOESNT WORK. the sound of,say clapping, stays THE SAME,turning the knob off or on.

anyhow, i will return it, and i am asking you guys, is the mackie dfx6 really noisy?
and yamaha mg82 cx?
alesis multimix8?
u think paying a bit more and going for allen heath 12fx, or soundcraft EFX8 would be a smarter decision?

please suggest me some fx mixers from upto 300 $.

nice day,
Nei

I can't answer your questions, but I will say I've heard some bad things about Behringer. I've heard their stuff is really unreliable, and will leave you hanging at the worst times. Someone said to me..."German engineering, Chinese handiwork." That pretty much sums it up.

I've got a Yamaha MG166c, but I haven't had enough time to give you a full review. Yamaha is usually pretty solid on quality with everything they make, riht down to the cheap stuff. I thought Mackie was the same.

I can't answer your questions, but I will say I've heard some bad things about Behringer. I've heard their stuff is really unreliable, and will leave you hanging at the worst times. Someone said to me..."German engineering, Chinese handiwork." That pretty much sums it up.

I've got a Yamaha MG166c, but I haven't had enough time to give you a full review. Yamaha is usually pretty solid on quality with everything they make, riht down to the cheap stuff. I thought Mackie was the same.

Just because you "heard" something doesn't mean it's always true. I've used a Behringer ADA8000 for nearly 5 years and their 8 channel headphone amp with ZERO problems and no noise. If you want an example then go to myspace.com/ironfistdillusion. Their most recent track, Peace and Blood, was recorded by me using only the Behringer ADA8000 and Audix and MXL mics. I would also like to note that your Yamaha and the Mackie stuff are BOTH manufactured in China.

Just because you "heard" something doesn't mean it's always true. I've used a Behringer ADA8000 for nearly 5 years and their 8 channel headphone amp with ZERO problems and no noise. If you want an example then go to myspace.com/ironfistdillusion. Their most recent track, Peace and Blood, was recorded by me using only the Behringer ADA8000 and Audix and MXL mics. I would also like to note that your Yamaha and the Mackie stuff are BOTH manufactured in China.

I've heard it more than once, and I know someone directly who lost a Behringer board during a show a week after buying it. I was speaking more on their quality control than their functionality. When a company is relatively new to the scene, has their hands in everything, and is cheaper than everyone else, that's a red flag for me. Yamaha may have their hand sin everything and manufacture in China, but they've been around a long time and have a great reputation in everything they do.

Either way, I'm glad yours works great. I'm sure they run fine most of the time.

so we have this behringer thing again:P

i m curious about mackie dfx series how could the salesman tell me they are all so noisy if i read the user's reviews, guys are happy with it.
hmmmm........

It jst sounds like the Behri 1204 you bought is defective. The pad should work pretty much the opposite of what you describes, minus the noise. I'd like to think that your saleperson didn't know it at the time . . .

Paj
8^)

and on the positive side : )

I know this is an old thread but I wish to add to this for those out there looking to buy one:

I think Nei57's comments were a little harsh. I would be shocked if the low cut affected the sound of your hands clapping. Only cuts frequencies less than 120khz! haha

Anywho, this looks like a fantastic little unit. Small/portable, built in effects, USB (though Behringers USB drivers are usually buggy, its only acting as a basic audio interface so should not be an issue. Windows 7 generic driver would probably work fine), and what is selling me on this unit is the XLR outputs! This is the only small mixer I have found with these outputs...

Anyone out there using one of these that can shed some light on things like quality of the effects? General sound quality (without effects added)? Stability of drivers and on what OS's?

Same setup for me as well. Recording without a hitch for awhile now.

Back