My Band's Song "Pluviophile"

Funny, song called "rain lover" using the Soundcloud logo in the associated image.

The whole mix has a piercing tone around 6-7kHz. It's especially present in the drum overheads and vocals. Most likely it's a problem with your monitoring, either the speakers themselves or the room you're mixing in. Other than that the mix seems okay-ish, but it's hard to tell with that piercing tone.

Be sure to upload .wav files to Soundcloud and let the site convert to its own compressed format. Don't upload files that are already compressed, like .mp3.

In addition to what bouldersoundguy said, two things. First, the level of the lead vocal is inconsistent. Some parts are low, so that words are dropping out. Other parts are much louder. Some manual editing of the lead vocal track to boost the softer parts would make it easier to compress and fit the vocal into your mix. Personally, I thought the reverb on the lead vocal was excessive, but it's a matter of taste.

Second, and for me the bigger issue is this: Your drummer is out of control on the cymbals. Just crash.crash.crash.crash.crash.ad.infinitum. The result is a gigantic cloud of unmusical noise that hovers over your mix and destroys any kind of clarity in the high end, or any subtlety and atmosphere that the song might have had. It's like listening with a jet airplane roaring overhead. I know this is more of a performance issue than a mixing one, but to my ears it is THE elephant in the room. Time for a chat with your drummer?

My thoughts.

Funny, song called "rain lover" using the Soundcloud logo in the associated image.

The whole mix has a piercing tone around 6-7kHz. It's especially present in the drum overheads and vocals. Most likely it's a problem with your monitoring, either the speakers themselves or the room you're mixing in. Other than that the mix seems okay-ish, but it's hard to tell with that piercing tone.

Be sure to upload .wav files to Soundcloud and let the site convert to its own compressed format. Don't upload files that are already compressed, like .mp3.

yeah, the song is telling about some one that love the rain,and the lyrics is in Indonesian, thanks for your advice. it's very helpful. Its my first time on mixing or editing an audio. and for monitoring i just using a regular headphone, coz i dont have it right now. thanks again, bro.

In addition to what bouldersoundguy said, two things. First, the level of the lead vocal is inconsistent. Some parts are low, so that words are dropping out. Other parts are much louder. Some manual editing of the lead vocal track to boost the softer parts would make it easier to compress and fit the vocal into your mix. Personally, I thought the reverb on the lead vocal was excessive, but it's a matter of taste.

Second, and for me the bigger issue is this: Your drummer is out of control on the cymbals. Just crash.crash.crash.crash.crash.ad.infinitum. The result is a gigantic cloud of unmusical noise that hovers over your mix and destroys any kind of clarity in the high end, or any subtlety and atmosphere that the song might have had. It's like listening with a jet airplane roaring overhead. I know this is more of a performance issue than a mixing one, but to my ears it is THE elephant in the room. Time for a chat with your drummer?

My thoughts.

thanks bro, honestly my team wrote that drum parts, we didn't take the drum live. but it's give me a lot to think. thanks again.

I like the energy. The crunch rhythm guitar sounded pretty good.

The drums are crazy. They're distracting from the song. The snare is really pointy/slappy.

Is there a bass? All I hear in the low end is a kick. Could use a stronger low end.

The vocal gets covered in some spots by a busy guitar part. And as has been said, its level is inconsistent.

I think too many things are trying to be the center of attention. The vocal should be the center of attention.

There is a guitar solo that gets panned from right to left and then to center. Not sure why.

I like the energy. The crunch rhythm guitar sounded pretty good.

The drums are crazy. They're distracting from the song. The snare is really pointy/slappy.

Is there a bass? All I hear in the low end is a kick. Could use a stronger low end.

The vocal gets covered in some spots by a busy guitar part. And as has been said, its level is inconsistent.

I think too many things are trying to be the center of attention. The vocal should be the center of attention.

There is a guitar solo that gets panned from right to left and then to center. Not sure why.

thanks mate for your suggest, i'm experimenting on the mixing. i'm trying on remix it.

I don't give much advice on anything but levels and arranging. So -

This is the kind of song that would be on my playlist. Most of my playlist consists of female singers. But, the problem I have at the moment is once the guitars come in on her voice, she's drowned out. The vocals should always be front and center. Because of that, it's masking other smaller problems like melody and such.

Love the arrangement, just not the mix.

Back