Multiple USB interfaces?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Would there be any conflict connecting more than one USB interface to my PC ?

Instead of replacing my 2-in 2-out unit with one having 4 or more ins/outs, would adding a second 2-in 2-out (or more) via an adjacent USB port work?

The second unit would be used to add an outboard limiter at mixdown while monitoring through the first.

Just wondering about this.. instead of selling my current interface to purchase a larger one (the easiest solution, for sure).

Thank you, Jimmy.. Rich. I'm using a PC based system. With so many of my current interface model already in the used market, they don't seem to be an attractive product. I believe I'll just use it as a trade-in on my next new bass - should cover the state tax.

I initially purchased the 2x2 as a novice to digital recording with no intentions of using any outboard gear.

Thank you, Jimmy.. Rich. I'm using a PC based system. With so many of my current interface model already in the used market, they don't seem to be an attractive product. I believe I'll just use it as a trade-in on my next new bass - should cover the state tax.

I initially purchased the 2x2 as a novice to digital recording with no intentions of using any outboard gear.
We all gotta start somewhere right?

I have been out of the market for interface shopping for years, so not sure I can give a great suggestion.

I had great time with the Tascam 1641 and 1800. The newer 18x08 is basically similar I hear. I have no recent use of them so I am not a good source of info as to your next purchase.

In theory you can do it using ASIO4All but the latency is going to be higher than plain ASIO drivers and the two interfaces will slowly drift out of sync unless you have some way of feeding word clock from one to the other.

If your outboard limiter expects to work at professional signal levels then it isn't necessarily a good idea to go for the cheapest interface that you can find as the cheaper interfaces often can't handle high signal levels.

Would there be any conflict connecting more than one USB interface to my PC ?

Instead of replacing my 2-in 2-out unit with one having 4 or more ins/outs, would adding a second 2-in 2-out (or more) via an adjacent USB port work?

The second unit would be used to add an outboard limiter at mixdown while monitoring through the first.

Just wondering about this.. instead of selling my current interface to purchase a larger one (the easiest solution, for sure).
I have multiple interfaces connected and though they can't, AFAIK be configured (at this time) to work in conjunction with any single instance of opened DAW software that I know of, they can both be connected and working through different applications at the same time. If you have two different DAWs available on one machine for instance.

For example: I have a 1608 and an allen heath q32 both connected via usb. I use Pro Tools so when it opens, I can choose either one as the IO, which leaves the other free to be used by say, Izotope Ozone. in stand alone configuration. Or it can be chosen as "Default" playback and/or recording device in windows sound control panel. Thus freeing me from the onboard sound card if I so desire. Also Pro Tools didn't used to be able to share an interface with another program but many stand alone programs can be set to use "Windows audio" at the same time, just like the onboard card. You can use the windows software "mixer" to set levels. Note: the speed of your processor and memory may limit any and all multi program usage.

Some interfaces can also be stacked and used together as one "interface" using ADAT , light pipe et al, so long as the hardware and software of each support such a thing. If your current interface has some sort of digital input or output (SPDIF ADAT , etc) you may be able to daisy chain another without too many headaches.

I think most of the time, people want to just add another interface so they can increase the tracks in a DAW. Obviously that's not the way the system was designed to work. I don't know the feasibility of using two interfaces with two DAWs. Seems that it would be a real stress test for a computer system.

I've actually thought about using my Zoom R24 for recording something like drums, then using the Tascam for other tracks, should the opportunity arise.

One day, I started a recording with several microphones in the basement, using both Reaper and the Zoom. I was trying to compare the recording quality of my R24 vs the Yamaha AW1600 and the Tascam 16x08. Not suprisingly, there was a slight difference in the track lengths, since there is no sync between them, but what I didn't try is importing the Zoom's wav files into Reaper and then using the stretch function to make things sync properly. Maybe I need to see what the cumulative difference would be on something like a 1 hour track. I could throw in the H4n as well. That could give me a possible 12 tracks with the two Zooms together. Put the H4n as an overhead on the drums, with a mic on the snare and kick, use the R24 for guitars and vocals.

Hmmmm.

I've actually thought about using my Zoom R24 for recording something like drums, then using the Tascam for other tracks, should the opportunity arise.
That's a great idea. You could leave one interface set up and dedicated for drums to avoid having to plug and un-plug and reset all of the levels.

Yes, in most cases your interface limit is your track limit however there are dedicated systems that use a "Master" interface and "input" modules and often even different mfg hardware can be used in this fashion if they can speak the same "lingo".

That's a great idea. You could leave one interface set up and dedicated for drums to avoid having to plug and un-plug and reset all of the levels.
Yeah, but you likely need more than two tracks for drums. Tascam US 2000 is $200 used on Ebay. The 16x08 is $350. 10 useable preamps and 16 inputs for that price seems to make sense - well until it isn't enough.

Maybe I am misunderstanding spantini's needs? A unit like that above, also allows you outputs/inputs to use whatever you want in the future. Including outboard gear. Like an outboard limiter.

You are not going to get that ability done well with a PC and multiple interfaces or a mixer or anything haphazardly combined.

Back