Multiple Layla24 on Windows 8.1

PAS

Hi all. First post, but have been lurking off and on for quite a while. Anybody using multiple Layla24 on a Windows 8.1 machine? I've been successfully using my first Layla for many years and recently added a second to my system. Everything seems to be fine, except the Echo24 Console app is not happy with multiple cards. It crashes immediately, though I can use it to configure almost everything on either card if I temporarily disable the other. I can live with that. My problem is that I cannot configure one to use the word clock input - the button is disabled in the console app. Supposedly it becomes enabled when the device detects signal on the WC input. I believe I have the devices connected correctly, and have tried with and without 75 ohm terminators and tried swapping which is master - no love. Anybody else have a similar setup? By the way, I'm using driver version 8.6. I've heard that some people got ahold of a slightly later beta version, but that is no longer available on the Echo website. Anybody have a copy of that I could try? I've sent a support request to Echo, but I don't expect much help since they discontinued support for this device some time ago.

Last edited:
Update: Echo was kind enough to send me driver version 8.6.4 beta - problem solved. That, and it turns out the devices do not require terminators.

Last edited:
I had to request the 8.6.4 drivers too a few months back.

Things is...those are beta drivers and they still have some issues. I'm using Win 7 with 3 Layla24 boxes.
For me, it wasn't a problem with the Layla Console...rather my DAW app would constantly reshuffle the multiple Layla I/O.
So like...once I set my I/Os in the ASIO section of my DAW for Layla 1, Layla 2, Layla 3...on the next reboot the I/Os for Layla 1 might show up on Layla 3...or something else.'
I actually had to hack the 8.6.4 installer, and use some of the files from the 8.6 installer to make it all work.
Now it's working as it should...but generally, Win 7 doesn't like dealing with the multiple, same drivers. When I was using the boxes on XP...never had any of those issues.
Another thing I do is to go into my Device Manager and simply disable two of the three Layla drivers when I'm just in the DAW editing and whatnot...as I only use the multiple boxes during tracking/transferring from my tape deck, and during mixdown when I come out of the DAW on 24 channels and mix OTB.
With two of the drivers disabled, the ASIO works much better...when all the drivers are enabled, you can get some ASIO glitches from time to time.

I gave the Echo people the info of what I had to do, and hoped that maybe their developers would take a bit of time to work out the kinks of the 8.6.4 beta driver...but I doubt it. They've recently moved on from doing any more audio interface development. They no longer make any audio interface products... not to mention, the Layla24 boxes were discontinued quite awhile back, so there's no motivation on their end to worry about the 8.6.4 beta driver.

Anyway...check out your entire setup and check to see if there are issues with the I/O settings in your DAW app....and you do realize that 8.6.4 was only meant for Win 7. They've never actually tested it with Win 8/8.1 ...AFAIK.

Back