Motu M4 vs Volt 276

Opinions?

I was planning to get a Motu M4 interface. I like having the permanent extra two inputs for my keyboard and the display etc. However I helped a friend get a new job and surprisingly he bought me a Volt 276 as a gift (great to have good friends).

I could return it but (1) seems rude (2) a hassle (3) it's Guitar Center and the do not have the M4 in stock

Any thoughts between these two?

Do you use a Mac or PC? You can use the two as an aggregate device. Easy on Mac. Little bit convoluted on PC but not hard.

Since the Volt has cost you nothing do get an M4. I have had mine for just a week or so and find it a superb interface. The mic pre amps in particular are remarkable. You can easily use dynamics at some distance and still get clean recordings and good levels. I don't have one (slurp!) but would bet even the feeble Shure SM7b would be perfectly fine for VO work. Attached is a scratch recording done on a very old THIRTY OHM RB ribbon. Really low output but the M4 makes a good fist of it and if you normalize to get an average around -20dB FS the noise floor is still respectably low. I can do you a clip with a regular dynamic later if you wish? Note, that recording contains 'room noise' as well as electronic noise. The hum is inherent in the mics and why we rarely used them except on 'king loud amps!

Driver (W10) are rock solid and even at 32 samples still plays glitch free on on this hardly blinding Lenovo T510 (i7 8G ram SSD)

Dave.
View attachment ribbon on m4.mp3

Thanks. I have PC. Doesn't make much sense to me to just buy an M4 when I already have Volt :) If only GC had them in stock then I could exchange.

Thanks. I have PC. Doesn't make much sense to me to just buy an M4 when I already have Volt :) If only GC had them in stock then I could exchange.
Well, the Volt has only basic 2 in 2 out connectivity whereas the M4 has two extra line ins* invaluable if you have a synth, drum machine or any other source you want to use in addition to the front XLR combis. The 'loop thru' facility on the M4 is very nice. Gives you effectively two more, 5/6 inputs that can record ANY sound going through your computer. No faffing about if you want to grab that YT sound, just set M4 input to 5/6 and rock on!

Then, you could use both interfaces for a time and once decided sell one. As one was a gift you are still one AI up on the deal!

*If the various effects on the Volt are attractive you could feed it to the M4's 3/4 inputs and still run mics etc on 1&2.

Dave.

Thanks, I know all about the features and had planned to buy the Motu 4 since I do have a keyboard I like to use direct and this adds to the convenience. I feel bad mainly. Selling or returning an unexpected gift feels wrong. Perfect world I could exchange it but GC doesn't have the Motu 4 and I have no patience :)

Back