Modeling Microphones

I work with a Producer who uses the Slate with the modelling software.
It basically works, and gives you some change of character in a fast way.
It is ok... again... how can I say this...

If you are someone who really can live with one mic because you are tracking instrumentation elsewhere and/or building up tracks virtually rather than tracking, then this can be a great tool.

It gives you a decent sounding microphone where you can bring in any client, grab your one mic, record the vocal without much forethought of choice and afterwards go through your mic simulations and pick out the best fit you have.

I sounds somewhat reasonably close, and you don't have 20k plus invested in mics.

I guess if it were me and I found I generally chose one or 2 of the simulations constantly, I would look into buying a non-virtual version of it (or a good clone) if it was within my budget.

I am not a Producer.
I merely provide a decent Studio and the Equipment for folks to record their raw tracks in my rooms with my mics, and then they cart the raw tracks off to do their thing with them in their Home Based Studios.

So I need actual microphones.

Having said that I have still been tempted to buy one for trying to cover mics I have yet to buy (C800, ELA M-251) that I am not sure I want to invest in.

I've got some Line 6 modelling radio mics and despite me leaving them on SM58, they do the modelling really well. The only drawback being the tonal quality changes but the polar pattern doesn't!

I've got some Line 6 modelling radio mics and despite me leaving them on SM58, they do the modelling really well. The only drawback being the tonal quality changes but the polar pattern doesn't!
I took a look. There are only two mic options with fixed polar patterns. I couldn't find anything about swappable capsules - I wonder if that's even an option with the existing mics in the near future.

I think that when we swap a mic it's the tone+the polar pattern we are hearing when we like/dislike them, so (using the Line 6 wireless mic example) you can mimic the Audio or Sennheiser alternative 'flavour', but they don't respond when the sound source moves around like the other brands

I haven't but I did watch a Warren Huart vid that compared modeling mics with the actual models. IMHO it pays to get a good mic and not worry about what it "models". It just has to get the sound you want.

They’re cool and definitely have their uses. I don’t think I’d want it, though. I like having a robust mic locker and would rather have many individual real things than a bunch of clone mics.

Back