Mixing SOS

The trouble is he's talking (or the computer voice) to two groups. Those who know what compressors sound like will get it, and those that don't will NOT hear a thing. Pointless for people wanting to learn. If the average listener can hear a compressor, you turned it up too much, so newcomers won't have the right clues to listen for.

The trouble is he's talking (or the computer voice) to two groups. Those who know what compressors sound like will get it, and those that don't will NOT hear a thing. Pointless for people wanting to learn. If the average listener can hear a compressor, you turned it up too much, so newcomers won't have the right clues to listen for.

For people wanting to learn, the takeaway should be the benefits of timing the compression.

Not if you can't hear it. I taught in college - and after a 6 week session on compression and effects, I linked the compressor out of circuit and NOT ONE noticed. Compression, double compression, and time domain effects within a compressor are simply inaudible in videos like this on YouTube. If you watch the knob moving, skilled listeners can hear it - but try it without the video on somebody you trust - and tell them to wave their hand when it's in and out. Extreme compression is obvious - everything else is crazily subtle.

Stumbled upon this video on YouTube, useful information.

Thanks. Yes it's a tad hard to hear and the idea of mastering limiting or compression isn't something I really have down. Using your ears might be as good as anything I suppose. I know I've done stuff that's sounded way overcooked after mastering.

Thanks. Yes it's a tad hard to hear and the idea of mastering limiting or compression isn't something I really have down. Using your ears might be as good as anything I suppose. I know I've done stuff that's sounded way overcooked after mastering.

We live, we learn.

Really liking your latest stuff on Soundcloud, it's groooovy!

Back