Mixing Feedback - Greatly Appreciated!

CoffeeMusic

Hi,

I have been a viewer of this forum for quite a while now and it looks like the people here always know what they are doing and talking about so I was wondering if I could have some help?

Me and my band have just recently finished recording and album and are now in the mixing stage of it. The album was recorded all by ourselves DIY style with no outside help. This goes the same for the mixing.
However, with the mixing we are trying our best but struggling to get it to sound great. We feel it isn't the standard we want (we are aware that you can only get it so good without studios, professionals etc).

The reason I am posting is to ask for feedback on the current mixes from anyone with experience in mixing. Any feedback is welcome. Be as brutally honest as you like as we want to try and get it the best we can possible get.

Linked below are 3 tracks that I would love feedback:

https://soundcloud.com/jmehwrd/sets/demo-mixes/s-5l1H6

We are a 3 piece Punk Rock/Ska Punk band so if you have experience in that area then even better, however anyone is welcome!

I am open to any questions.

Thank you so much for any help.
I really do appreciate it!

P.S. Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section. I tried to make sure there was no self promotion at all by not mentioning the band name, track names or anything.

Last edited:
Your link isn't working. I did listen to Never Cared. How many mics did you use? Bass sounded like it probably needs some compression then brought up (I heard it kind of come in and out). Drums really could use some help, but if it all was recorded with a couple of mics, you're going to have some challenges.

If you can let us know how the recording was setup, it will tell us how much you can do to the mix (2 channel recording verses 8+ channel/track). Example, bass and guitar each on a track, drums 4+ tracks, vocals each on a track. The more channels/microphones/inputs each instrument has, the more flexibility you have in treating each instrument to get it to mix correctly.

If you already know this, my apologies, but the mix I heard sounded like a quick stereo mix and if that is the case, the approach and guidance will be different than a mulch-channel setup.

(Should be posted in the mixing clinic, mods will move pretty sure)

Thanks for replying DM60. Apologies about the link. It should be working now. If not here is hopefully the correct link:
https://soundcloud.com/jmehwrd/sets/demo-mixes/s-5l1H6

Never Cared was an old recording from and old session so had a different set up we did quite a few years ago, but thank you for giving it a listen.

The recording set up we used for the tracks in the link are Guitar on 1 track, Bass on 1 track, Drums on 4 tracks (1 snare track, 1 bass drum track, 2 overheads), and vocals each on a track.

Let me know what you think. Thanks so much!

Pretty sure there is are some guys here who can really help. I will give my 2 cents,

First, it is not a bad mix. It has a lo-fi quality to it, that isn't bad. You are probably wanting everything a little more in your face.

First demo, stick could be turned down, bass come up a bit (you might need to work with some compression on that to get it up and more controlled so it doesn't red line everything). Same with the kick, needs to be brought up to give more bottom. Vocals sound pretty good, you could try EQing some of the top end off (above 12K). For the total mix, EQ some of the top end and put some compression on the total mix to give it some forward feel.

I suggest to wait for others to comment. Really good recording and the mix is pretty decent. Next steps are more subtle and really need an ear that is more in tune with this style of music. As stated, there are a couple of guys here who will be able to provide spot on comments. So sit tight and wait for some more feed back. Also, the mods will need to move this to the MP3 clinic to get some ears on it.

Good tune and good first start to the mix. You guys are not far off.

The MP3 Clinic is the place for this type of post. A mod might move it.

Anyway, I listed to Demo Mix 1. Like DM60, I thought it was a pretty decent mix. Musicianship and energy is real good. I liked the song.

I wasn't a huge fan of the distorted guitar sound. But I think that's a personal taste thing, I suspect that there will be quite a few people will like it. I'd like a little more high end and just a bit more gain.

The drums sounded pretty good to me except the kick. It's all low end - no mids and no attack. Just kind of thuddy.

The lead vocal sounds like it's in a different spot from the rest of the tracks. It is a bit dry, and what ambiance is there makes it sound like it was tracked in a closet.

I liked the bass sound.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it! I agree a lot with what has been said.

The snare drum sounds a bit too bright and needs to come down in the mix. The bass defiantly needs to come through more. The tracks are sounding very thin.

Thanks again, it helped a lot!

Back