MIDI With a Hardware Synth for MIDI Clock Sync

jconradi

Hello, I'm using a Roland JX-03 synth module with my Scarlett 18i8 interface. I have recorded the JX-03 tons of times into my DAW (Reason 9) using a basic line input, but, now I have really gotten into the sequencer on the JX-03.

I want to be able to record the sequencer into reason with the sequencer sync'ed to Reason's MIDI clock so the tempo's match up. I went out today and bought a MIDI cable, and I have my interface going into my computer via USB, and then I have the MIDI output going from my interface to the MIDI input on the JX-03. But, whenever I go into reason, I try making an "external MIDI instrument" and i can't get it to work, it just does the same thing as if I was recording it on a line input.

Can anyone help? All i'm trying to do is sync the tempo's of the JX-03 and Reason so that the sequencer on the JX-03 matches up with Reason. Thanks!

The JX-03 has a "MIDI Clock Source" setting that determines whether it will sync to its internal tempo or to an external source. Check that setting to be sure it's set the way you want.

I'm not familiar with Reason, but it should also have a setting that indicates whether you want it to use its own tempo/clock or sync to an external source. Check that setting as well.

As long as you've got MIDI going to and from between the JX-03 and Reason, you should be able to use either one as the MIDI clock source; but if you're going for a simpler setup then you can set the JX-03 to use its internal clock and set Reason to use an external clock, so there's no need to send any MIDI from Reason to the JX-03. (I'm assuming you're using the sequencer on the JX-03 rather than sequencing from Reason to the JX-03; just reverse the settings if you are sequencing from Reason.)

I'm not clear on why you need to go from the JX-03 to an interface to the computer, because based on the information at Roland's web site it looks like you can go straight from the JX-03 to a computer via USB for both audio and MIDI. The interface may be adding an extra layer of confusion to the setup. Use it for any other audio or MIDI devices if necessary, but I'd suggest that you not use it for the JX-03 unless you really need to, just to help keep things simple.

I do recall from my VERY limited time with Cubase that there is a setting (two in fact) called 'Use System Timestamp' (or not!) I do not recall what that all means but it seems moot?

Yes, MIDI goes over USB these days but there MAY be an advantage, even if just easier visualization, to having a unique piece of wire? I know I have a bit of a rep' for MIDI moans but if peeps like RME see fit to employ TWO sets of DIN ports, one slap bang on the front, I reckon there is a lot of mileage left in the protocol?

Dave.

To get the sequencer into the DAW, you need MIDI out of the sequencer into a MIDI track.

I would set the -o3 to external and see if I could get everything over USB. For myself, I usually set-up audio and MIDI tracks and record them together.

If it a dual MIDI cable, that should work fine out of the interface, rather than USB.

Back