MIDI to DR-670, noob question

barks62

I’m sure some form of this question has been asked and answered a million times in these forums, and I apologize. I swear I did the search, but didn’t find the answer, so I’m just going to ask it myself. I’m sorry if I’m doubling up here! I have a Boss DR-670 that I use to record into a Tascam 2488. Old school, I know, but I can’t afford to go to PC recording yet and I already have this equipment, so I’m trying to make it work.

What I want to do is program custom drum patterns and songs into the DR-670. I know you can do it with the LCD screen, but that is tedious and I don’t like it. I have PC Drummer for the computer that I’m using to create the songs, and PC Drummer is capable of exporting a MIDI file.

So, can anybody tell me how to take that MIDI file and use it to trigger the DR-670? I’ve found posts where people want to use MIDI to sync, or use the DR to record MIDI, etc. Nothing that tells me how to take a MIDI file on a pc and get the DR to play it.
I’m thinking I need another piece of hardware, like a sequencer or something? Or is there a way to store that MIDI file on the DR and just play it from there?

Please help! If I can’t get this to work, I’ll just create a .wav from PC Drummer and try to import (or play) that into the Tascam, but I’d really like to use the DR because I dig the sound.

Thank you very much for any input.

Back