Microphone Static Issue

Parune

Hello.

I'm using a Samson C01U USB microphone that I have plugged into my computer and I'm getting some pretty bad static noise.

I've recorded the static noise on two different desktop computers in two different buildings but the static is identical. I've put links below to each of the recordings and I've attached them as MP3s to this post as well (there's some environmental noise mixed in there, but for the most part you can hear the static):

Static 1: Vocaroo | Voice message
Static 2: Vocaroo | Voice message

Now here's the kicker: it's not an issue with the microphone or the connection. I've connected a Rode NTG-4 to my Behringer Xenyx 802 through a single XLR connection (with 48V phantom power), and when I listen in through the headphone output on the Xenyx there's no static. However, when I route the signal from my Xenyx into the Line In on my computer, it adds the static noise identical to the one it adds to the C01U. Whether or not I use RCA to 3.5 mm or just a 3.5 mm auxiliary cable the problem is still the same. Again, this problem persists whether or not it's plugged into my computer.

So far I've determined that:
1. It can't be the C01U.
2. It can't be any of the connections.
3. It can't be the PSU, it's an Antec Neo Eco 620W and I have a friend with the same power supply who doesn't have this issue.
4. It's not a surge protector issue.
5. It's not a power cable issue.
6. It's not a driver issue (I've re-installed and updated all of my audio drivers).
7. It's definitely happening when the analog signal is converted to digital.

At first I thought it was my motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V), but I've tested it on 3 other computers with different motherboards (1 being a laptop) and they've all had the same issue. So at this point it's POSSIBLE that both my C01U AND the connections I've been using with my Xenyx have been faulty. However this is not very probable. I'm thinking there's something simple that I missed here.

Here are my computer specs just in case:
Asus P8Z77-V
Intel Core i5 3570
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Antec Neo Eco 620W
Seagate 2TB HDD
No Sound Card

Is there anyone here that might know what the issue is? Because I've tested different microphones on different computers with different power sources and the static is all identical.

Thanks a ton!

Attachments

• Static 2.mp3
    155.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Static 1.mp3
    155.1 KB · Views: 4
'However, when I route the signal from my Xenyx into the Line In on my computer, it adds the static noise identical to the one it adds to the C01U.'
Both use the computers sound system on the motherboard. You can try playing with settings in Windows to try an improve it, but the preferred solution would be to get a decent USB Audio interface and a non-USB mic. I also believe I've read something about the C01U have low level noise/hiss issues, but you may not notice it with noise you currently have.

Back