Microphone Recommendations for high quality VoIP

Cedmo8

Hello, I am looking for a bit of advice on a potential new setup that will be primarily used for VoIP but aimed at achieving the best quality that is practical.

While my immediate intentions are to use the configuration on a TeamSpeak server for general discussion (not gaming… well occasionally), and the occasional Skype call I wanted to allow for other uses without having to replace anything in the distant future if I ever decide to make YouTube videos or anything like that.

I would ideally like to attach the mic to a boom arm and have it sit about half a meter away from me and at a 45 degree angle to my right. My room is normally almost completely silent except for a subtle hum from my computer thought there are sometimes noises outside like kids playing and stuff like that but not often.

My Plan:

I original had decided to go with a Blue Snowball but then decided I liked the AT2020USB better as well as it having better reviews, and I could get normal shockmount for it without it weighing 5KG and looking stupid. I then read many recommendations that suggest that the AT2020 XLR was a wiser choice but would require a pre-amp.

I compared many pre-amp models and decided that the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 or 2i4 was what I wanted if I decide to go this route, if I do then I will pick one up off eBay second hand. After comparing reviews and prices I discovered that I could get an AT2035 for £10 more than the AT2020 and it seemed worth it to go for that instead.

I also considered getting a Behringer XM8500 for when things got noisy or in place of the condenser entirely as it is extremely cheap for what it is. Although it would still require an interface to use with my soundcard (ASUS Xonar Essence STX) as it doesn’t have a balanced input. I am aware I could make a custom cable and connect the XM8500 to the unbalanced mic in jack but the STX’s mic in is actually very poor quality, the line is apparently quite good though.

Also considering that the Scarlet can support 2 inputs at the same time it would be easy to swap between the XM8500 and AT 2035 if I were to get both.

I use a set of Beyerdynamic DT990’s and while they are open headphones and I understand that a condenser could easily pickup sound from them it’s not that common that people will be talking at the same time as me and it shouldn’t be too difficult to configure my system to mute or lower audio when I push to talk if necessary, I have also looked at attached mics like the Modmic or the Zalman clip-on mic and really don’t want the mic to be attached to me if it can at all be avoided.

Now for the questions:

• Am I really just wasting my time? I really do want to get the absolute best out of my mic setup but where do I draw the line for want I am going to use it for?
  • Will the AT2035 and the XM8500 both pickup my voice ok if they are positioned 45 degrees to my right and about half a meter away?
  • I have an ASUS Xonar Essence STX internal sound card, would I be better to connect the Scarlet 2i2 via USB or to get the 2i4 and connect it’s unbalanced out to my STX’s Line in?
  • Are there any other microphones I should be considering instead?
  • Any other advice/recommendations you can offer would be much appreciated; I had considered just getting the pre-amp and the XM8500 and expanding to a condenser later if the conditions called for it.
Thanks for reading my wall of text; I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

For a forum of recording experts you don't particularly vocal, I realise that my question may be a bit out of place or miss-directed but I would really appreciate an answer if anyone is willing to take to time to formulate a response.

For a forum of recording experts....

Where'd you get that from?

Microphone and audio interface (Scarlett), or USB mic is the simplest solution.

Sound card = unbalanced = potential to pick up noise, plus more gear and cables and what not.

45 degrees and a meter away is going to sound really ambient no matter what mic you choose, unless you happen to have a dead room.
The mic will 'hear' you, sure, but it won't sound like radio.

If your goal is to keep the mic out of shot, try placing it on the table between your arms in typing position, and point it 45 degrees up.
That gets you closer to 1' or so.

Back