Microphone for ambient recording... completly lost.

The problem is that some websites call recorders like the H4n a dictaphone, which now I understand it is a wrong thing to call it. So when I did mention dictaphone anywhere in this thread, I'm actually was referring to a handheld recorder :) (my bad).

Anyway, I've made my mind. I'm going for the Tascam DR-40 and I will purchase a pair of shotgun mics to record specific sounds like rain (I have a topic about this in another section of the forum).

Thank you very much for your time and support!

I chose the Zoom because it is easier to use due to the lay out. The Tascam to use the if mounted on a stand has the controls and display on the top, on the Zoom they would be either on the front or back which is more convenient.

I see. Well I go for the Tascam because it costs fairly less and the menus seem more intuitive, at least from what I've read and watched over youtube. But the main reason is really the price difference. Well, I also love black ;).

Good luck with the Tascam. I don't know the model you're buying at all but I'm a bit wary of that brand when I consider the number of threads I've seen about Tascam issues.

Good luck with the Tascam. I don't know the model you're buying at all but I'm a bit wary of that brand when I consider the number of threads I've seen about Tascam issues.

I know, Bob! I hope Endorya has second thoughts about this.

I've had the Roland R-26 for a year now and the audio quality is amazing. The various mic configurations are fantastic. I've used this device for recording our church band coming straight out of the main board and 4 mics (internal) capturing the ambient sound. Mixing the 6 stereo tracks was very easy. Only drawback is the setup for each new recording. Very easy to export to PC DAW for editing.

Back