Mic is cutting out in multiple programs but not “listen to self”

sethm0001

my microphone (at2040) with scarlett solo and cloudlifter, suddenly started cutting out midway through playing a game with friends.

i was in discord with them and my mic suddenly started “cutting out and popping.” it’s also doing this in the in-game chat in fortnite as well. however when i go to system sounds and enable playback through my microphone, it sounds perfectly loud and clear.

i tried disabling my VPN just incase it was an internet issue, but the issue persisted. also when i do the audio tester in discord it sounds all choppy and messed up, but again when i listen to my microphone through my computers settings, it’s perfectly clear, i checked several components, checked connections, tried without the cloudlifter, swapped out the cables with a spare, messed around with the settings, but i cannot narrow it down to one thing.

i installed a virtual webcam program, and i have been having issues with my GPU drivers lately, but have since resolved the issue and uninstalled the virtual webcam. currently doing a system restore point from a couple days ago to see if it will fix this issue.

just a little update, i did the system restore, it didn’t fix it.

however i did try a different microphone and the issue persists…

reminder… everything was working fine and then randomly stopped working, all i was doing was playing a game talking to friends in discord when it stopped working right about halfway through, suddenly.

i have been having issues with my GPU drivers lately, but have since resolved the issue and uninstalled the virtual webcam. currently doing a system restore point from a couple days ago to see if it will fix this issue.
How about installing the drivers one at a time and look for a conflict step by step?

Most likely the problem is in software and related to the interface rather than the mic. I know that doesn't solve your problem, but it might narrow down where to look. Are you using the Focusrite control panel software? Perhaps you can increase a buffer.

Most likely the problem is in software and related to the interface rather than the mic. I know that doesn't solve your problem, but it might narrow down where to look. Are you using the Focusrite control panel software? Perhaps you can increase a buffer.
yes i am using that program

Does the microphone operate without that control panel software? and still pick up sound for the games?
the microphone cannot be used without the program. windows itself is picking up my microphone perfectly, however programs like discord, and in-game chats are not

Worth a shot.

If it is cutting out, that can happen with a buffer under run like Boulder said, or a thru- put bottle neck. Can you adjust buffer size? try larger and smaller.

Worth a shot.

If it is cutting out, that can happen with a buffer under run like Boulder said, or a thru- put bottle neck. Can you adjust buffer size? try larger and smaller.
buffer size is adjustable, yes. however i wasn’t able to notice a difference. but now my friends are telling my mic is fine… but nothing changed. i’m confused, but i’m not gonna trip about it. thanks for helping me

buffer size is adjustable, yes. however i wasn’t able to notice a difference. but now my friends are telling my mic is fine… but nothing changed. i’m confused, but i’m not gonna trip about it. thanks for helping me
Just so you know, discord "Let's Check" is messed up on some setups.
Not sure if it's OS specific or with specific interfaces but mine has been really choppy for months now.

I have no issues at all with voice chats though - It's just the "Let's Check" preview that's choppy.

Back