Mic for recording table-talk at a card game?

dodgepong

I am doing some broadcasting of the card game Android: Netrunner, a 2-player card game where players sit on opposite sides of a table playing against each other. I imagine one might want to use a similar setup to record a game like Magic the Gathering, if that helps.

Here is a broadcast I did recently, to give you an idea of how it looks/sounds right now: Twitch

Right now, all I have for recording table audio (conversation between players, mostly) is the built-in microphone of the camera, which isn't great, and pretty omnidirectional, picking up a lot of sound from elsewhere in the room. So I'm looking for a better solution to record table audio for the broadcast.

The ideal situation, I would think, would be to use two shotgun mics (one for each player) hovering above the players on boom stands. However, that kind of feels like overkill, and perhaps out of my price range at this point (non-garbage shotgun mics can be pricey). Would a single shotgun mic work? If so, where would I place it? Any recommendations on a model for under $200?

Another solution might be something like an XLR "conference" mic like this: Amazon.com: Audio-Technica PRO42 Propoint Boundary Microphone: Musical Instruments But I don't know if this will also be too omnidirectional as well, or pick up things from too far away. I guess I'm just not really experienced enough to know how such a thing would work.

Lavs are out of the question. I can't spend the time to hook people up between each round of the tournament.

Bonus points if there is a way to plug the mic(s) into the mic input on the camcorder! (3.5mm TRS)

As a side question: is it possible to input a condensor mic into a balanced TRS input on a mixer board? Or does it need to be XLR input for phantom power? If it's possible, what is the best way to adapt the XLR jack into TRS?

Last edited:
Maybe look at getting a Figure-8 dynamic mic. A quick google search pulls this one up.

Mic Here

You can find some adaptors to go from XLR to 3.5mm TRS.

Back