Love this drum sound!

RFR

Not quite sure how they got it. Very present, not too much verb, yet what they have done is achieved distance. It actually sounds like the drums are sitting behind the bass and guitar like a live performance.

:thumbs up:

If you're using a DAW: room mic, high and low pass filters, low tube saturation. The snare has literally no bottom end and the whole kit sounds pretty dry.

It's all about the samples themselves...
This is actually how drum recordings really sound before you fx them to death...

---------- Update ----------

Try Addictive Drums. take all of the fx off

I am pretty sure that the original drum recording had no samples on it as it was recorded in 1976 when engineers could record drums LOL.

Alan.

Samples? This is from 1976. :eek:

Believe it or not, there was a time when awesome drum recordings were made using.....wait for it........real drums. This drum track is an example of that (Not that I think this is a great drum recording, but that's another story). Samples? Lol. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.....but most are inapplicable seeing how these were live drums. I guess no one would know the answer as to how they were recorded unless they were there.:D

It doe intrigue me, and I do LOVE early ZZ top drum sounds. I remember one day hearing a remasterd version of LaGrange and was appalled at the excessive reverbs added to the original relatively dry drums.:facepalm: They tried to make it sound like 80s ZZ.

Samples? This is from 1976. :eek:

Believe it or not, there was a time when awesome drum recordings were made using.....wait for it........real drums. This drum track is an example of that (Not that I think this is a great drum recording, but that's another story). Samples? Lol. :D

Rami, What do you have against this particular recording??? I'm just curious. I personally love it! It's part of the character of the song as much as any other element.

This is Billy and the boys! They can do no wrong by me.:cool::cool::cool:

ThRami, What do you have against this particular recording??? I'm just curious. I personally love it! It's part of the character of the song as much as any other element.

This is Billy and the boys! They can do no wrong by me.:cool::cool::cool:
No, don't get me wrong. I love ZZTop and I have nothing against this sound. But it's just a raw, dry drum recording that's totally attainable to anyone that wants it. That's not a bad thing, it's cool, and I'm not suggesting that just because something is simple it means it's not good. I just don't see anything that special about it. I have old cassette recordings of my bands rehearsing when I was a kid that sound pretty much like this (not quite, obviously, but close). It does lack low end, but that's the sound they wanted, and it works for this tune.

I think what makes this drum track cool is just the fact that they went with it....in the mid-70's, when everyone was trying to get a big Zeppelin sound. I like that they decided to go the other way completely. It's just not a sound I can ever imagine myself striving for.

Last edited:
Aside from what has been said, the drums (especially the snare and toms) are really turned up in the mix. Moreso than on a lot of recordings. I like the drum sound too - raw and dry. But a bit of that overall drum sound comes from just turning up some drum tracks I think.

No, don't get me wrong. I love ZZTop and I have nothing against this sound. But it's just a raw, dry drum recording that's totally attainable to anyone that wants it. That's not a bad thing, it's cool, and I'm not suggesting that just because something is simple it means it's not good. I just don't see anything that special about it. I have old cassette recordings of my bands rehearsing when I was a kid that sound pretty much like this (not quite, obviously, but close). It does lack low end, but that's the sound they wanted, and it works for this tune.

I think what makes this drum track cool is just the fact that they went with it....in the mid-70's, when everyone was trying to get a big Zeppelin sound. I like that they decided to go the other way completely. It's just not a sound I can ever imagine myself striving for.

One of the things I like about it so much is the fact that is sounds real, not to mention that frank is also a fantastic drummer.
When I retrieve my old multitracks I'm gonna give a stab at remixing and keep the drum tracks dry......see what they sound like. After baking some tape. :D

Back