Looking for service manual for Alesis M20 ADAT

jmej

I've got an M20 that needs some work. Does anyone happen to have a copy of the service manual lying around? It's hard to find information about this thing!

Thanks @Smithers XKR - I have that one, but I'm after the Service Manual specifically - that'll be the one offering repair and maintenance guidance. Seems a bit tougher to come by! It's a shame because there are fewer and fewer ADAT techs...

Thanks @Smithers XKR - I have that one, but I'm after the Service Manual specifically - that'll be the one offering repair and maintenance guidance. Seems a bit tougher to come by! It's a shame because there are fewer and fewer ADAT techs...
I have a couple of original ADAT's in my rack. Could you not just contact Alesis directly? Just a thought. Always a way mate xxx

I've got an M20 that needs some work. Does anyone happen to have a copy of the service manual lying around? It's hard to find information about this thing!
What is wrong with it? If it is a funcional issue then it may just need a service which can be done with a local tech. I mean, drives, mechanism, stuff like that.

What is wrong with it? If it is a funcional issue then it may just need a service which can be done with a local tech. I mean, drives, mechanism, stuff like that.
The chips rarely go wrong in these things, it is likely to be a mechanical issue which can be repaired by any qualified audio guy.

The M20 is a bit of a different animal than a regular ADAT; there's a lot more stuff jammed into that box including a more robust transport, and, there were not a lot of them manufactured. I'm not confident your standard ADAT tech could handle it. I used to have a copy of the service manual but I sold it on Ebay a few months after I sold my M20. That was about 18 years ago. There is a former Alesis ADAT factory tech at Audio Design in Burbank CA. You might want to check with them.

I'm my own tech. I'm looking for a service manual that contains schematics and the calibration procedure for this deck. I know it's nothing out of the ordinary - mostly these things just tend to need cleaning similar to any VHS deck - but calibration instructions especially are very useful to have around when working on this sort of thing. It's running pretty well still, I want to make sure that's the case for a long time. If anyone has access to the manual to make a scan that would be great for those of us working to preserve these machines.

I've never found any ADAT service manuals easily available but there is quite a bit on ADAT servicing at Eddie Ciletti's website - pages like

Have you opened up the machine? The factory setup parameters should be on a sticky label attached to the inside of the case although these may have changed if you have ever run a transport calibration.

Back