Linking dual mono signal together

Garagerock

Should y cables for summing mono line level dual signal to one have a resistor for protection . Used as splitter it would be obsolete but other way around before let’s say a comp … thanx

Last edited:
The correct explanation is that resistors are the norm, and how it’s taught. The old line level 4 channel mixers in the 70s had 220ohm resistors after each pot, but it wasnt really isolation in the electrical sense, but a way to prevent interaction between the channels. My first didn’t have them, and turning one channel up could reduce one of the others a little as the knobs changed the overall resistance. If you use a straight y split, then the left channel will also go back up into the right channel. Most decent designs don’t suffer from this, but it’s feasible others might? The resistor prevents this to a degree. I’ve bodged splitte4s or combiners for ever, and never has it been a problem. Back in the day when I couldn't solder, I twisted the wires, or maybe used a screw connector, chocolate block style. Last week I did it again with wago connectors. The best invention ever!

No - you just don't! I have never, ever heard of this kind of thing damaging equipment, because accidental shorts are far more common and never cause grief. Think about jamming a guitar jack into a headphone socket - grabbing the wrong one in the dark. Music gear knows stupid things happen and make sure warranty repairs don't result. A simple Y split has never let me down. How many people have accidentally connected two items together, like two mixers - as a submit - with the mixer out going to an XLR in - but forgot to turn off the 48V phantom. Odd things happen - like LEDs all coming on, but never damaged anything. Forums are full of "will I blow up my XYZ?" and in all my years as I said, I've never blown anything up! In fact - back in the early days of Hifi - 73 onwards, everyone was bodging up cabling to connect their new stereo recorders to their mono amps, and mono devices to stereo inputs. To be electrically correct, and do it properly, sure - solder them up with a resistor, but in practice, you can connect anything to almost anything and with a bit of care - like starting with gains down and faders down - most things can be made to work.

I wouldn‘t like to join them signals without protection but am diy so shure it is a quick thing to make still funny how differend people handle this with active splitters etc.

Back