Lexicon Vs Yamaha

TamaGroove

Lexicon LXP-15 vs. yamaha spx 90 vs. yamaha spx 990

I have access to buying all three machines. i am wondering which one, in your guys' eyes in the best. it will be my first effects unit for recording and possibly live. Thanks!

I've had a SPX90 and used it for live and it worked very well. I have a Lexicon PCM80 now which is pretty sweet :D The thing is with live you usually find one patch and leave it there so you don't need a lot of presets...

Effects are a very personal taste. My favourite of the three is the SPX990 which I love to bits with the SPX90 being a second place. I find the Lexicon 'verbs to sound a bit metallic to my ear--but lots of people love them. If you have a chance to audition them, that would be your best bet.

Seems as though the SPX90 has been around seance the dawn of time and is still out there working hard for whom ever uses it.
They can be found everyday for $50. and below.

The 990 would be nice because you have stereo in and stereo out but with the 90 you have mono in stereo out. is that right?

The Lexicon probably has better reverb sounds. The spx-90 is sort of the swiss army knife of effects processors which I still use and like, and the 990 is an upgraded version of the 90. So, the 90 if its cheap, the 990 if its not too much more ( among other things, I think the reverb sounds better than the 90, and if the reverb sound is your main priority Lexicons usually have an edge there. you"ll have fun with any of them though. If they are all the same price, I'd go with the 990.

i can get the SPX 90 for $150, the SPX 990 for $250, and the Lexicon LXP-15 for $150. which would you guys recommend? Thanks a bunch! Love this forum!

i can get the SPX 90 for $150, the SPX 990 for $250, and the Lexicon LXP-15 for $150. which would you guys recommend? Thanks a bunch! Love this forum!

Are you located in the US?
I have all three of those units and I would sell you any or all for slightly over HALF of the price that you have quoted here.

Bet you love this forum even more now - huh?

All are good units--I fear it comes down to personal choice. I personally prefer the reverbs in the SPX990 but I know lots who like Lexicon 'verbs more.

Of course, at Moresound's prices you could maybe get two or three!

i live in canada so i wouldnt be able to get those from ya. but thanks anyways. is the SPX 90 a mono in and stereo out but it could be mono out as well? cause my friend has the SPX90 and i kinda would like to support him.

i live in canada so i wouldnt be able to get those from ya. but thanks anyways. is the SPX 90 a mono in and stereo out but it could be mono out as well? cause my friend has the SPX90 and i kinda would like to support him.

Sure you could! I ship to Canada all of the time.

I don't have the Yamahas but have heard them in a live PA setting many years ago. I do own an LXP-15 (v.2) that has the Jim Williams mod (audioupgrades.com) and I like it very much. Somewhere in The Rack, many years ago, I posted some clips of the LXP in comparison to my PCM90 using plates on drums I think. If I do a search, I bet I can find it.

I love my old mark 1 SPX90, I also like lexicon verbs as well. Its personal taste, but I like the Lexicon on vocal and the spx on drums. But I occasionally swap them around just to see if it suits the sing better. The SPX990 is a later version of a SPX90 and will have more programming and sounds, but will sound very similar in most ways, there was also an SPX90II that I think had more memory and stereo ins and outs like the 990.

Now reviewing what I said I realise that I have been no help at all LOL, what it boils down to is what you like best as they are all good beasts.

Alan.

Ah, found the clips at Gearslutz. DM Pro kit, each clip is labeled as which verb is being used, PCM90 or the Jim Williams modded LXP-15. Sounds are more effective than words, so judge for yourself how the LXP15 sounds, even thought it had some work done to it.

Attachments

• daleobrienreverbsample1 lxp15 ii jim williams.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • daleobrienreverbsample2 pcm90.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Well, the PCM90 attachment seems not to be working properly, at least on my machine. Let me try again.

Attachments

• daleobrienreverbsample2 pcm90.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Back