Latency

haveri321

Hello,

I experience latency when I play my keboard using Cubase. Actually, It's not Cubase itself which causes the latency, but the VST plugin that I have - Galaxy Vintage D (piano VST). I use it with Firefly 302 soundcard.
My computer proccessor is I-5 with 8 GB RAM.
I know that my soundcard is not very good, but I wonder whether that is what causes the latency, or maybe it's just some properties that I have to take care of?

Sorry about my English, and thank you very much in advance!

Hello,

I experience latency when I play my keboard using Cubase. Actually, It's not Cubase itself which causes the latency, but the VST plugin that I have - Galaxy Vintage D (piano VST). I use it with Firefly 302 soundcard.
My computer proccessor is I-5 with 8 GB RAM.
I know that my soundcard is not very good, but I wonder whether that is what causes the latency, or maybe it's just some properties that I have to take care of?

Sorry about my English, and thank you very much in advance!

What OS?

If Windows, you can do much to improve performance.

W7 HERE

W8 HERE

Latency is purely the interaction of the soundcard hardware and it's drivers to the OS.
You -have- to get a better asio soundcard for any daw.

(Btw: when I was starting out I could get single-digit latency on my 450mhz PentiumII computer .... With a proper soundcard!)

Latency is purely the interaction of the soundcard hardware and it's drivers to the OS.
You -have- to get a better asio soundcard for any daw.

(Btw: when I was starting out I could get single-digit latency on my 450mhz PentiumII computer .... With a proper soundcard!)

And with the setup of the OS to optimize it's ability to work with any particular interface...

A PC setup not optimized for audio performance can give crappy results with a high end AI.

I think he's talking about midi latency which is a little different and not dependent on the interface. Isn't there a Constrain Latency Delay button somewhere that fixes this? I might have to look into it later tonight. I'm curious.

I think he's talking about midi latency which is a little different and not dependent on the interface. Isn't there a Constrain Latency Delay button somewhere that fixes this? I might have to look into it later tonight. I'm curious.

You may be right...

Latency is just something I have learned to live with. An external mixer helped for awhile until I just learned to deal with it. Have some pretty severe issued with Tinnitus myself doesn't help, I usually record with an ear plug on one ear to partially block the slap back but this is with vocals. It seems like a cheap mixer could eliminate the need to listen to the latency at all.

It is like having to deal with the Doppler Effect in auditoriums: Once you begin listening to the "Room" you are listening to history that is coming back slightly flat. That draws you into following the pitch into sounding like crap. We musicians have had to learn to deal with a lot of compromises and I guess latency is one of them. I bet you can beat this.

I rather thought he was talking about playing a VST instrument? There is no real MIDI issue - certainly not on my system, but a slower computer with old drivers does introduce a delay that some players find very annoying. Updating drivers and doing the usual speed tweaks can help a bit - but even with a swish computer and the latest drivers there can be a very definite lag.

Thank you for your answers guys.
I was talking about playing a VST instrument. and I changed some settings in windows to optimize performance and the latency still exists. Can it be due to the quality of my soundcard?
Thanks in advance

This may help you, if your using windows, as I've had a similar problem. Make sure your Midi track's input Is Not set to "All Midi Inputs", this messes stuff up because windows "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth". It causes double notes that are out of time and it's a pain. Also if you go to Devices>Device Setup>Midi Port Setup you will see two boxes above the "Help" Button>Use System Timestamp click both of these and apply. Hopefully this will help as it will stop use timestamps from your Daw rather than your soundcard. Hope you get it fixed!

SPEAKING OF LATENCY....I've got a 2 mic setup on an acoustic piano...that's it....mics/Steinberg UR44/Cubase 7/WIN7.64bit.3.78G useable memory....I've been getting dropouts on one of both tracks and have had to increase the sample rate from 128 to 384 to stop it. What's going on here?...thanks..mark

SPEAKING OF LATENCY....I've got a 2 mic setup on an acoustic piano...that's it....mics/Steinberg UR44/Cubase 7/WIN7.64bit.3.78G useable memory....I've been getting dropouts on one of both tracks and have had to increase the sample rate from 128 to 384 to stop it. What's going on here?...thanks..mark

You should be starting your own thread for this question and not hijacking another one.

Jimmy, very helpful...I've done a couple of things but, nothing like that guideline indicates....Chili, was unaware of the protocols for threads...I just saw a title that said "Latency" and I figured Hmmmmmmmm sounds like a good place to go for answers....and I was right...thanks again Jimmy

that nailed it....I had done something similar but, not as detailed as what you sent....I suggest that for all Win7 users...thanks again...big help
mark

Back