Laptop Bleed

This has to be in Windows settings. Under System : Settings: Sound: Input Devices : Manage Sound Devices, you probably have something in Realtec Mic Array, or whatever Dell is using for the laptop mic. Disable that in Windows, it should be greyed out, and won't be active any more.
It is disabled

Dell usually has a speaker icon in the lower right tray which you right-click to get to Sounds (not Sound settings). Click Sounds, then the Recording tab, then right-click your microphone and select Disable. You may have to try more than one Mic if there are several listed.

I just had the strangest thing happen man. I did what you suggested, got into the Recording tab and there are 3 mic icons there, one of them was on (the middle) so I disabled it.
Then I went to Reaper and there was no bleed through, I couldn't believe it. I then ran my Alesis drum machine and it recorded beautifully with no background bleed through.
BUT - - - when I hit the stop button on Reaper and stopped recording the bleed through started up again. So the way it is now, when the track itself is not armed there is no bleed through (before there was) but as soon as I arm it the bleed through is there.

Go to the pv website and download the driver for your mixer and install it on the laptop. Then you should see it.

After looking at the manual and a few other places, it seems it doesn't have a driver. So this will be a computer system configuration issue.

Is it possible I can receive your advice on a problem I am having sir ?
Sure.

Others have said this already, but first thing is to go to Windows sound seetings and make sure the USB device is selected as default input and out. Then do the same within Reaper.

Sure.

Others have said this already, but first thing is to go to Windows sound seetings and make sure the USB device is selected as default input and out. Then do the same within Reaper.
Thank you very much I have solved my issue thanks to all you folks here. You guys made my night !!
Are you familiar with Reaper by the way, and if you are I have one more question:
I'm trying to change the colors on my VU meter/s but for the life of me it will not let me do so, I want lower green, middle yellow and clipping red but all I can get is orange
got any suggestions please?

Glad you got it figured out. I suspect "High Definition Audio" is the name of the internal sound card of the laptop. Mine is called Realtek High Definition Audio.

Maybe check out the mp3 clinic where people post things to get other people's feedback.

Thank you very much I have solved my issue thanks to all you folks here. You guys made my night !!
Are you familiar with Reaper by the way, and if you are I have one more question:
I'm trying to change the colors on my VU meter/s but for the life of me it will not let me do so, I want lower green, middle yellow and clipping red but all I can get is orange
got any suggestions please?
This might help. It appears that some themes don't allow the meter colors to change. You'll need to edit the theme.

Glad you got it figured out. I suspect "High Definition Audio" is the name of the internal sound card of the laptop. Mine is called Realtek High Definition Audio.

Maybe check out the mp3 clinic where people post things to get other people's feedback.
Thanks very much for your suggestion I truly appreciate it. Now allow me to give you a good tip. Most musicians now days (you may not be included) are of the mindset that more is better in every way. More instruments, more effects on top of each other. Music has become extremely mechanized since the invention of the synthesizer. When you listen to recordings you hear a pristinely done musical arrangement with every instrument in it's "perfect" place. Young musicians have been brainwashed into this mindset, whether it was intentional or not, personally I believed it simply morphed in that direction.

So, after spending decades in production, I would advise any home recording affectionado just the opposite of what the current mindset is towards recording perfection. If I was arranging your song in a studio setting I'd advise you to keep it simple, don't overdo anything and allow your talent to shine through and not all of the effects and precision that most try to achieve. By doing so, one's own personal talent or the song's merit will become more evident. The more RAW your production is the better, raw music is alive is it not?

The Rolling Stones are a great example. Except for Jagger's voice it is and always has been one of the most untalented musical groups (in my opinion) in history. I can go through each member's talents, or lack of it, but I won't bore you. So why are they still the No. 1 band in the world -tied with the Eagles - the answer is their rawness there lack of sophistication and this is why people love them. Ask any person "why do you like the Stones" and they will say "their music sounds live on records."

So if you want to be successful my friend do what everybody else isn't doing !
Again, thanks for your input and I hope the above may tickle your musical thought process ! Good luck in the New Year and I'm here to help if you need it.

Right, well my preference is no click, no grid, no pitch correction, whole song takes when possible (which is not too often), not too many overdubs or effects. Once in a while I violate those guidelines.

Sadly, my free recording is rare now - clicks rule the world and tempo maps something I do routinely, I don't think the music has suffered, but all the editing is made so much easier but the music being linked to the tempo. When I do have to record with no tempo/click, then a tempo map is the first thing I build before I move on.

Back