Kick: all thud, no boom

I was listening to this at work, ala crappy headphones, so I'll try to give you some suggestions.

First off the D112 is a good mic but you gotta work with it. Personally I perfer the Audix D6 because it's pretuned to get a great sound flat. However the D112 is more versitile, but you gotta tweak it.

One thing that has worked for me using only one mic on the kick is get it inside the drum off center off the drum but close to the batter head to kick in the "proximity" effect dynamic mics get.

Second make sure you're giving it a good EQ boost around 60 hz. Seriously boost the hell out of that range, but dial in the Q, and sweep that range until you feel the rumble, then adjust as nessisary to the mix. You can also try the same technique but setup a prefade send to another channel, and EQ one for the click, and the other for the rumble. This is a cheat way to get the double mic'd kick, it doesn't work as well as using multiple mics, but it does work.

Finally depedning on what DAW you're using (hopefully one with bussing capability, i.e. not garage band or mixcraft where there's only a master bus) use parallel compression. route your kick to a kick bus, route that kick bus to a drum bus, then do a pre fade send on that bus to a parallel compression bus, route both the drum bus and the parallell comp bus to a drum master bus. You should route all your drums in this fashion.

Essentially what you have is a mix of the uncompressed drum sound, with a heavily compressed drum sound. If done right this can be freaking awesome and add so much life to your mix. Done wrong it can sound over compressed, don't use huge ratios for individual compression on your kick, so it's not over compressed on the par comp bus.

Go to you tube and do a search on parallel compression, to give you a better understanding.

If you don't have a DAW that does bussing, you can get a similar effect by double compression. i.e. use two compressors on a channel but use low ratios, ala 1.5/1

I was listening to this at work, ala crappy headphones, so I'll try to give you some suggestions.

First off the D112 is a good mic but you gotta work with it. Personally I perfer the Audix D6 because it's pretuned to get a great sound flat. However the D112 is more versitile, but you gotta tweak it.

One thing that has worked for me using only one mic on the kick is get it inside the drum off center off the drum but close to the batter head to kick in the "proximity" effect dynamic mics get.

Second make sure you're giving it a good EQ boost around 60 hz. Seriously boost the hell out of that range, but dial in the Q, and sweep that range until you feel the rumble, then adjust as nessisary to the mix. You can also try the same technique but setup a prefade send to another channel, and EQ one for the click, and the other for the rumble. This is a cheat way to get the double mic'd kick, it doesn't work as well as using multiple mics, but it does work.

Finally depedning on what DAW you're using (hopefully one with bussing capability, i.e. not garage band or mixcraft where there's only a master bus) use parallel compression. route your kick to a kick bus, route that kick bus to a drum bus, then do a pre fade send on that bus to a parallel compression bus, route both the drum bus and the parallell comp bus to a drum master bus. You should route all your drums in this fashion.

Essentially what you have is a mix of the uncompressed drum sound, with a heavily compressed drum sound. If done right this can be freaking awesome and add so much life to your mix. Done wrong it can sound over compressed, don't use huge ratios for individual compression on your kick, so it's not over compressed on the par comp bus.

Go to you tube and do a search on parallel compression, to give you a better understanding.

If you don't have a DAW that does bussing, you can get a similar effect by double compression. i.e. use two compressors on a channel but use low ratios, ala 1.5/1

Thanks for the listen and the input!

I am familiar with parallel compression, and will definitely give that a go on the back end. This query was prep for some new tracks--with a different kit. I've got a band coming in next week, and I'll have to make some judgements based on how his kit (and kick) sounds relative to mine.

In the meantime, I did try tweaking the placement of the D112, as well as using an RE20 instead. Interesting and usable sounds there as well. The best results I got came with my C414, set to cardioid, about 6 inches off the ground and 2 feet away from the back of the kick. Definitely gave me some "boom" to work with.

I'll check back in and post some samples after next weeks sessions get rolling.

Funny, it sounds perfect to me. I use a Beta52 and I always feel like it's too boomy and I never have enough click/thud. I also don't have a sound port on my kick so that's probably a big part of the issue.

To me it sounds like the kick is being dampened by holding the pedal down. I say this because the toms ring so much more by comparison.

Back