Keepin Time?

Gtoboy

I was watching "Hitsville: The Making of Motown" and there was this cool bass figure that I want to steal so I picked up a handy guitar to work it out.

As usual, it turned into a random jam of various ideas. So I am tapping out four with my left foot, just keeping time, when it hits me that to help with my drum playing skills, that I should be tapping out the beat with my right (kick drum) foot.

After a few minutes of trying, I find that I can't yet get my right foot to separate from the rhythm I am playing on guitar. I can only maintain tempo with my left foot while playing guitar. I suspect with bass as well. I will have to experiment. I will also have to practice tapping tempo with my right foot.

So has any one else tried and/or noticed this about themselves?

I will add that I am also not good at singing a different rhythm from what I am playing and vice versa.

I can keep the beat with both but it's just easier to use the left when the guitar is resting on the right leg. That said I have trouble keeping a steady beat with my left foot while playing drums but have no problem with the right. Years ago I was in a band with an awesome drummer who almost always kept a steady beat with his left foot just lightly opening and closing his hi hat. I have tried to do that numerous times and I cannot do it. I suppose with lots of practice I might get it but drums are not my primary instrument.

I was watching "Hitsville: The Making of Motown" and there was this cool bass figure that I want to steal so I picked up a handy guitar to work it out.

As usual, it turned into a random jam of various ideas. So I am tapping out four with my left foot, just keeping time, when it hits me that to help with my drum playing skills, that I should be tapping out the beat with my right (kick drum) foot.

After a few minutes of trying, I find that I can't yet get my right foot to separate from the rhythm I am playing on guitar. I can only maintain tempo with my left foot while playing guitar. I suspect with bass as well. I will have to experiment. I will also have to practice tapping tempo with my right foot.

So has any one else tried and/or noticed this about themselves?

I will add that I am also not good at singing a different rhythm from what I am playing and vice versa.
Yea dude same here. I am good at left OR right but not both at the same time. Bass player here. Not a drummer at all haha !

Don't tap your feet! I guess it doesn't matter much for drums but son plays classical guitar (and rock and jazz) and tells me it is a PITA when recording. He has managed to break the habit.

Dave.

I can do three limbs, but never four - one always stops. I can't fly a plane either. I can do the airlaw, the comms, the nav, the science and meteo - but the actual flying fails. No spacial awareness. Too many inputs, one drops off. tried 3 times - twice on fixed wing and once on rotary (which was appallingly bad). Drums impossible, and I also think that's why pedal steel failed - two hands and two knees and two feet. No hope.

As a right handed player - it just doesn't feel right to try to keep time with my right leg/foot. It does feel entirely intuitive/instinctive to keep time with my left though. Like Tommy Emmanuel (who is also an excellent drummer). Getting that quarter or eighth note thing going like opening and closing the hi-hat. Just feels normal.

Don't tap your feet! I guess it doesn't matter much for drums but son plays classical guitar (and rock and jazz) and tells me it is a PITA when recording. He has managed to break the habit.

Dave.
Carpet :) I sometimes just bend my leg when singing, acoustic guitar I usually use my heel (left leg) but I have heard my tapping in various recordings.

Back