Just popped into my head

Not sure what your Kiling Joke referred to (the band?) - no connection there.

I'm recording in my bedroom studio, all DI to MOTU M2 interface and Reaper. Using AmpliTube Brit 8000 for my Strat; AmpliTube '59 Tweed Bassman for my Fender Jazz.

Yeah, the "tone" of the guitar track reminded me of Killing Joke for some reason, the band. Surprised it's DI using Amp Sims... you must have some huge Reverb or something at the end of the chain, no?

Just a little reverb on the guitar panned right. Only 1000 ms (1 sec) - 100 wet / 0 dry. Medium room size (50). I add just enough so I can hear it's tails in the quiet parts.

A couple of days ago, I found myself running a chord progression in my head. Catchy, I thought. So I sat down and worked out some variations for a possible song. The one I landed on sounds pretty good. I began writing lyrics, but I stalled after the first few lines. Then I suddenly realized I was playing virtually the same song Neil Young wrote years ago - Rockin' In The Free World - only a different key. ACK!! Then I tried different arrangements which sucked, each one weakened the progression. Now the initial spark was gone and all I have are four lines of lyrics that'll probably never see the light of day again. Oh well. . .
There's a song right there, in this experience.

I have heard that even Bob Dylan used to pattern his songs after other songs he loved from other artists. He would change a chord here and there, alter the melody and next thin you know, he has a song. There is no problem having a sound similar to other great songs. I mean, there are only so many basic chord progressions to chose from.

Back