Its said in good, but are they lying? Please judge me before I quit. 23.f

Jadebobade

When I'm singing I love the way i sound, especially if I'm plugged in, however when I hear the same thing even just seconds after, I pick it to bits and pieces and hate it. If I'm trying to record something and have to start a spot over more than once it's likely I'll try and try till I'm frustrated and delete the whole thing. I'm told whenever I'm heard that I'm good and need to Persue it, that it made them feel and even cry, but often I obsess over the idea that theyre lying so they don't hurt my feelings. So I've come here to ask for honest opinions and feedback, brutal. I want to know every thought. My feelings most definitely won't be hurt, rather I'll be thrilled to know exactly what to work on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iGDN0Uawt8w

jadebobade'''s Smule Profile

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFwcjfWaFLFRypVRyZTHcUQ

https://m.soundcloud.com/jade-antoinette-tackett/first-aid-kit-wolf-cover-by

Please pleas help me out.

Last edited:
You're the one with the hat? Yeah, you can sing. I'm not the person to offer you technical advice on singing (you should hear my voice...). But I'd say say keep doing what you're doing. Good harmonizing.

Voice is fine. Recordings are pap! The one with the guitar sounds ok, difficult to really tell as the sound is thin and weak. The sound loud clip sounds horrible. From what I can hear your voice is not bad. You seem from your post to have a confidence problem, and that perhaps is a barrier to work on. You can sing. You don't make the audience cringe. Tonally it's nice. You do have problems with your breathing, I'd suggest finding a decent singing teacher and getting them to help you with your technique.

In short, yes it's definitely worth pursuing 100%! You have a great start - nice pitch and good tone. And geez ... Ave Maria? That's not an easy song at all! I agree with Rob that confidence may be your biggest obstacle. If you're going to make a mistake, just make it loud and proud! That's the only way (IMHO) that you're going to really develop a lot of confidence. The more you sing out, the more confidence you get. That's my opinion anyway. Either do it or don't, but please take the non-biased advice given here and realize that you definitely have the necessary tools to do it.

I know it's not easy, and I've struggled a lot with confidence over the years myself. I didn't have a natural talent for singing. My talent lies more in guitar playing and songwriting (at least I think so). Even at 43, I'm not a great vocalist with nice technique, etc. I'm more in the vein of a Bruce Springsteen/songwriter type or something that does what he can to hit the notes. But you certainly seem to have a knack for it. (I'm not trying to imply that you haven't had to practice or anything, but it sounds pretty natural.) I would have loved to be a natural singer, but I have to work with what I have; we all do. But you certainly have more than many, so you can feel good about that! The only thing standing in your way now is just practice and more practice.

I should also say that, when you first start recording yourself, it can be pretty intimidating. It takes a while to get used to hearing yourself. But it seems as though you've done a pretty good amount of it by now. It sounds as though you're hard on yourself, and that's the story with most people. You're usually your own worst critic.

Best of luck to you!

Yes, you can sing. You are actually very good, and very listenable. You have the basics down well. Get some coaching and move forward.
It seems your major problem is the same as 95% of all people. You don't like the sound of your own voice outside of your head. Very common. Sometimes people are extremely surprised the first time they hear their own voices recorded: Lots of people claim it's not them. :laughings:

As a side: try to find someone who has a decent recording studio where you can get some decent demos...:)

I've always felt the same way about my voice. I'll have people tell me I'm good to my face, but in my mind I'm thinking "they're just being nice". I think confidence comes with training and just constantly getting yourself out there/learning from your mistakes...learning your strengths and weaknesses. I'm an untrained singer and not only does it effect confidence/comfort..I also tend to think people can most likely tell, which doesn't help. I'm also a dancer (which I've been trained in since I was 3 years old) and the confidence/comfort level between singing and dancing is like night and day. Still I love them both the same.

That being said, I think you have a great voice. I love the tone and the fact that your voice is soft yet strong and well controlled. You'd probably benefit from working on breathing with a coach, but wouldn't we all :-) Keep it up!

Back